Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adatech

join:2010-04-23

Porting and e911 (CC -> Voip.ms)

Didn't want to threadjack another topic, and a post by IScream got me thinking:

I'm in the process of porting my DID from CallCentric to Voip.ms. I currently have e911 service with CC, and plan on getting it with Voip.ms.

Does whatever database that keeps these records get updated as soon as my e911 application with Voip.ms is complete? In other words, is there a possibility that I could call 911 but it would still show my old CC hidden-DID callback number, instead of my real DID?

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
You will need to immediately activate e911 service on the DID as soon as the number is ported to VoIP.ms for e911 to work properly.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to adatech
said by adatech:

is there a possibility that I could call 911 but it would still show my old CC hidden-DID callback number, instead of my real DID?

That's not possible. If you call 911 from VMS they will show your VMS Caller ID.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to adatech
When porting a number it may also be a good idea to do a fresh signup with the Do Not Call list.

This may not be needed if the new provider uses the same CLEC, but that's hard for a consumer to know so it's safer to do it.

If a provider switch means a CLEC switch, it's almost certainly a good idea to do the DNC list again.

-------------------------

The FTC (not FCC) encourages procedures to try to prevent numbers from being removed from the list simply from porting.

But people should defend their own interests, as errors can occur.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
How might a port knock a number off the DNC registry?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
The FTC has rules requiring abandoned numbers to be removed from the list.

Sometimes a ported number might be confused with an abandoned number.

The FTC discussed this in a report to Congress late last year.