The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog

Re: Homebrew DSL

Yea Im not familiar with dry pairs from Bell Canada (please feel free to fill me in! LLigetfa!)

It would be interesting, to put up a tower near a OPI, for example I can think of two I could service hundreds of cottages from with LOS to a PoP with a small 30 foot tower. get the phone company to install dry pairs to my tower to a customer (assuming no loaded pairs) for $25 a month to Bell, then my markup. But DSL is low maintenance compared to wireless, and Bell would have to fix any pair issues.

Is this even possible with Bell Canada? I dont see why I would have to be a CLEC for this

I know the rules are different in the states.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by Inssomniak:

Yea Im not familiar with dry pairs from Bell Canada (please feel free to fill me in! LLigetfa!)

Some guys call them alarm circuits. Be careful they don't try to upsell you to LDDS (limited distance data set) circuits at a higher cost.

I think CLEC status can get you rack space and other stuff at tariff rates. Otherwise, they have you over a barrel. CLEC can also get you on their poles.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore

Premium Member

In my area of Ontario Latch fee's (pole fees) are stupid. Up to 43 per month per pole after the first year - first 12 months are 30% off though (waahoo!). Makes hanging your own fibre totally impractical. I've only ever succeeded once in getting a dry pair for a 'serial line' connection. Fee was 29 per month, or about 2x the DSL Dry Loop fee for that Bandrate. Strapped a pair of SDSL modems on it and got a whole .5 Mbps. Telco had no interest in troubleshooting it because it was well beyond the 9,600 bps that they 'guaranteed' on that serial line. That worked for a while and then I just built a WISP instead and now I get 20 Mbps But yes I've thought about the same thing. Even considered trenching my own multi pair cable in some areas (like trailer parks) but that's a totally different expense and hassle.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by Semaphore:

In my area of Ontario Latch fee's (pole fees) are stupid. Up to 43 per month per pole

I just approached one of the local power companies that serves the villages in my area and was amazed at the price they quoted for pole fees. $1.88/pole/YEAR. I am now planning some fiber deployments because it would be just plain stupid for me not to do it at that price.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Semaphore

to Semaphore
Trenching really isn't all that bad, goes pretty quick. Just cherry pick your markets. I'm finally getting my project well under way. My new problem is not having enough bandwidth, people are craving it!

Joe, your message is still lingering, will get back to you asap, might give you a call instead.

b

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

said by Semaphore:

In my area of Ontario Latch fee's (pole fees) are stupid. Up to 43 per month per pole

I just approached one of the local power companies that serves the villages in my area and was amazed at the price they quoted for pole fees. $1.88/pole/YEAR. I am now planning some fiber deployments because it would be just plain stupid for me not to do it at that price.

Nice.. It would a 1.88 per hour here.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to prairiesky

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

Joe, your message is still lingering, will get back to you asap, might give you a call instead.

No problem. I've been out of the office this whole week on a rare opportunity to take a vacation. I'm going to tour another community fiber network in a week or so to see what they've done to build their system. They're also doing CATV over it, so it will be interesting to see the backend of that system.
ctech99
join:2010-02-16

ctech99

Wow thats perfect, and now that you have a cheap lead on poles. Lucky. I was told down here they are $30/pole/year.

Is that community you are looking at local? Take me along!!! ;P
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by ctech99:

Wow thats perfect, and now that you have a cheap lead on poles. Lucky. I was told down here they are $30/pole/year.

Yeah, it just happens to be the rate they set like 30 years ago when the CATV providers wanted to use the poles, and they said it wouldn't be fair to charge us more than they were charging someone else. They admitted they should probably revisit them someday, but that the increase probably wouldn't be significant. Heck, even if they raised the rates to double or triple, I would still view it as very reasonable.
said by ctech99:

Is that community you are looking at local? Take me along!!! ;P

It's Crosslake Communications in Crosslake, MN. They have been very open to talking about their project and were more than willing to give me a tour and show me what they have done, and what they wish they would have done differently. The only thing better than learning from your own mistakes is learning from someone else's.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore

Premium Member

said by jcremin:

said by ctech99:

... and they said it wouldn't be fair to charge us more than they were charging someone else...

ROFL. Fair ? What a concept

Around here, not being one of 'the three' means they gouge, screw, rape and pillage you for all they can... and of course the gov. funds them up the ass but a competitor gets nuthin because they aren't 'big enough' ... Oh how I dream of even a near to fair market