uniqs
share rss forum feed

cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

Connecting PC to TV

I'm not very computer connection literate...

I would like to watch streaming video from my computer to my tv. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

The TV and PC are about 30' away from each other, and I would just like to connect them when watching videos; then disconnect...

TV:
»www.crutchfield.com/S-l6YEs4YKGR···BR1.html

•10 A/V inputs, including:3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs (accepts signals up to 1080i)
3 i.LINK® (IEEE 1394) ports (2 rear, 1 front)

•PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
•2 RF inputs (1 Antenna, 1 Cable)

PC:
»h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te···Id=12454

Back I/O ports
Figure 5: Back I/O panel

1 - PS/2 mouse port (green)
2 - PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
3 - Video Graphics Adapter port
4 - USB 2.0 ports 4
5 - RJ45 Network (LAN)
6 - Line In port (light blue)
7 - Line Out port (lime)
8 - Microphone port (pink)

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
What kind of budget are you working with and what kind of video quality are you looking for?

The ONLY video out on the PC is the "Video Graphics Adapter port" and that will connect directly to the TV's "PC input: analog RGB" (you don't have to worry about converting anything), but I'm not sure what the maximum resolution will be.

Then audio will be separate.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

cjski
Premium
Sun City, CA
Ideally I would like to stay under $50...but I guess that also depends on resolution. What is the next step up from just using a 30' RGB cable w/audio? Would I be better served going from VGA@PC to component@TV?

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to cjski
30' away, i think your cheapest/simplest option would be to buy a network media player, and feed it with wmp on the computer. Something like a roku or a dlna enabled bluray player would cost you about as much as 30' of vga and audio cables.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to cjski
You can run rgb to 30" feet easily with no problems. The TV will be an extended monitor to your pc.
For sound you can do line out to rca connectors (red and white) to the TV. But you might have to change source of sound on your playback devices.

The easiest remedy would be get a decent video card that has an hdmi output and just use a 30ft hdmi cable to the TV.

cjski
Premium
Sun City, CA
reply to cjski
Ok. So I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that VGA@PC to component@TV would give me the best, cheapest hookup?

Or just try the VGA@PC to VGA@TV?

If I do go with the 1st example, I can find a cable with VGA to component...but I can't find 1 with VGA to component with audio...preferably with a 3.5mm on the VGA end, to (2) 3.5mm connectors on the component end.

What do you guys think?

cjski
Premium
Sun City, CA
reply to cjski
I think I'm over thinking this...here's all I think I need.

»www.monoprice.com/products/produ···format=2

Right?

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to cjski
You could just use the vga to vga and you might as well get the 3.5mm sound cable with it such as this 35ft Super VGA HD15 M/M CL2 Rated Cable w/ Stereo Audio and Triple Shielding (Gold Plated).
Then at the tv use this 6inch Premium 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black to connect to the white/red sound on your tv.
--
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Saviour;
The Hope of nations.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to cjski
keep in mind that 30 feet of VGA cable at high resolutions, there will be slight to moderate video "echoes" that will be present on the screen depending on the grade and quality of the VGA cable.
these "echoes" can be easily seen with a white cross hatch pattern displayed like this one. »www.cmmchecker.com/htdocs/crosshatch.jpg
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to cjski
You may also consider a VGA switch if you are going to use the TV often to avoid the hassle of disconnecting and connecting cables on the back of the computer. Something like this which unfortunately is out of stock at the moment.

»www.monoprice.com/products/produ···format=2

Your best solution would be to have a new video board that supports two monitors (many are HDMI these days) and you could run an HDMI cable between the computer and TV and use it as a second monitor. I have this setup where a 32-inch HDTV is the secondary monitor and extended desktop. To watch someting there I just drag to that screen and maximize or go full screen while keeping the primary monitor available for other things.