alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

said by drew:

It's the clutch, probably.

»fixitnow.com/wp/2010/07/07/diagn···-washer/

What would be the cause of the washing machine not spinning when draining water, yet if I open the lid and close it again, it will start spinning.

Note - It does this in mid-cycle only. It always will successfully spin by itself at the very end (otherwise the clothes would be soaking wet when finished).

edit - I just googled "washing machine doesn't spin unless I open close lid". Surprisingly from such a long search string, i got tons of relevent results. The answer is: Replace timer. Will do!

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

My new found expertise says lid switch - if it's going bad...

You can "jumper" it to test, but that's up to you.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

If it was the lid switch, it wouldn't allow the washing machine to continue the rest of the cycles.

But I edited my post above, turns out it's a common problem and the defective part is the timer. It needs to do a "pause" for the clutch to get out of neutral. Maybe my timer is defective over the mid-cycle.

When the wife and kids go on their trip for a month, I'll take apart the washing machine to find the replacement part. Right now that machine is running 2 times a day, so I can't put it out of commission for a couple of days