Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

Re: OWC Mercury Electra 3G

said by not quite right:

I was going to get the OWC Electra, but Fry's had a smoking deal on the Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD. Between that, and 16GB's of RAM my Mac Mini just flys through everything I throw at it! I now wonder if I stick a regular HD back in as well Mountain Lion will treat it like a fusion drive?

Which Mini do you have? Same deal here, have a mid 2011 I5 Mini, picked up the same SSD as you and upped the Ram from 8 to 16GB and this thing flies. Everything happens about as fast as I click the mouse button.

The Mini was very sluggish with the stock 5400rpm drive in it. I never realized how bad it was until I bought a 2006 iMac on here for my son with a C2D in it and it seemed to run circles around my Mini.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by happy4ya:

The Mini was very sluggish with the stock 5400rpm drive in it. I never realized how bad it was until I bought a 2006 iMac on here for my son with a C2D in it and it seemed to run circles around my Mini.

Yeah it's a shame that they still sell machines with 5400 rpm drives... Whats the point of having a decent cpu & memory when the disk is such a bottleneck...

Maybe this Fusion Drive thing will catch on and will get a lot less expensive in the future...

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to happy4ya

to happy4ya
Sounds like the same Mini. It baffles me that 5,400rpm drives are still made, let alone put in a modern computer.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

Sounds like the same Mini. It baffles me that 5,400rpm drives are still made, let alone put in a modern computer.

I am sure on the laptop front they will still cite power consumption.

Anything like a mini or bigger though they have no excuse, anything not a tablet or laptop is running off AC power so there is no battery life worries.

for full sized 3.5" HDD I am kind of surprised no other company has pushed into the 10k RPM market. Seems only Western Digital with their gamer angled Raptor drives is above 7200 for non-SCSI/SAS