All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hevi

@metrocast.net

Terrible speeds in Northeast PA

I've never had any problems till about a week ago. I pay for 25 down and that's what I usually got maybe it would slow down a bit around primetime but never like it has been. I get about 2-3 down and 2 up and I pay for 25/2. Anyone else having this problem in PA?

ugleee

join:2010-10-24
Berwick, PA

I am in Berwick, PA, and I've noticed slower speeds lately. First noticed Netflix not working as fast as it used to, and just now I tested on speedtest.net and speed was only 6mb down (up seemed normal). I only pay for 12 down, but this is still half what I should be at. I'm going to give them a call a little later.

hevi99

join:2012-03-12

Your getting better then me. I'm only getting 3 down and I pay for 25

hevi99

reply to ugleee

I'm also in Berwick. I called them this morning, didnt help much. They ran tests and said signals are fine. They said I have a older Docsis 2 modem and I can take it in and get a Docsis 3 modem not sure if that will help but if I find the time today i'm gonna swap them and see how that goes.

Hevi

@metrocast.net
reply to ugleee

I'm in Berwick also. I called them this morning and they didn't do much, they ran tests said signals are fine. They said I have a older Docsis 2 modem and they would replace it with a docsis 3 if I took the old one in. Gonna do that later and see how it goes.

ugleee

Berwick, PA

I called them and as soon as I get on the phone with them I test through speedtest.net and it's just about fine now....strange. I'll test throughout the day. I know I have a docsis 2 also, maybe I should take mine in too.

hevi99

Yep i'm getting 15-20 down now. I'm still gonna take my modem in today sometime. May as well have the new stuff lol.

ugleee

Berwick, PA

If you can, come back here and let me know if the new modem made any difference. Thanks.

hevi99

reply to Hevi

I hooked the new modem up about an hour ago been playing games and watching netflix no issues so far. Ran 3 tests and they were 23-26 down and 2 up.

hevi99

it's back to being crap again. It has to be on their end.

hevi99

reply to Hevi

Whooo 1 down 2 up. $70 a month well spent.

hevi99

reply to Hevi

ugleee

Berwick, PA

I can't even load up speedtest.net right now. I love how the tech guy had a real attitude with me over the phone too, telling me that DSLReports are basically just people complaining and not a reliable forum. That guy was a real jerk.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

That is funny to read as some of us here have worked with some of the techs on this site to help identify issues in our area. Sounded like someone was just being lazy. How far apart are you guys from each other that are seeing the issues?

ugleee

Berwick, PA

I'm on 3rd st in Berwick. It's so intermittent that it's hard to tell if it's been resolved or just being good for now. I'm doing fine right now, but 6 hours ago it was 1mb down (the upstream has always been right around 1.5 which is normal).

Grunge_Audit

join:2007-12-05
reply to Hevi

Yeah... this happens every year. Search back my posts 3 maybe 4 years; I been complaining about it quite a bit. This typically starts around Black Friday like clockwork.

East coast... getting cold outside, dark early and more and more people indoors using the internet for streaming audio/video, gaming, torrents, etc.

There are some good techs here that might chime in to help. If not, call and complain. But don't hold your breath.

Metrocast has been considerably better than the past years. Bottom line, you have an over extended node it will fix itself in the spring.
--
Where is that marketing manager when you need him? -GA

ugleee

Berwick, PA

The tech I talked to this morning said they've received many calls about it and it is a known problem. Mine seemed absolutely fine all day, no slowdown at all. I can understand a slowdown from 12mb advertised to 7 or 8, even 5 or 6, but when it goes down to less than one for more than an hour at a time something is wrong.

Do you think it would be worth it for me to swap my modem for a docsis 3? I know it has nothing to do with this issue, but would it improve overall performance/reliability?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Same thing we saw up here a few years ago. The techs here helped diagnose it, request fixes to management etc.
I would get a Docsis 3 modem. With the bonding your speeds will be much more stable.