Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

GuruGuy to goretsky

Premium Member

to goretsky

Re: ESET makes again a mess of their definitions

said by goretsky:

Hello,

An ESET employee has replied in the message thread a couple of times now explaining what happened.

While it is certainly frustrating to see your anti-malware software take a long time to download updates and even error out when downloading them in some instances, it's important to keep in mind that was the limit of the problem. There were no missed detections or false positive detections of malware nor did this cause any problems with the operating system or common applications, as had happened in the past when some anti-malware vendors published problematic updates.

That said, I would strongly suggest contacting ESET directly to speak to their customer service department if you have any questions or comments you wish to share with them. You can fill out a support request here on their web site, or call them directly at +1 (866) 343-3738 in the U.S. and Canada.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I think the bigger issue is the lack of timely response on the official forum nor an answer to the what the problem was.
As you said, an employee did respond a couple of times. The first time was a day after the initial post "I was able to update without problems. Are you still having the issue?" and the 2nd time was another day later where he finally explained what the problem was "The only problem was that an update of the same number was released twice. As a result, every user downloaded about 1,4 MB file instead of a few KB. Other than that, there was no problem in terms of protection or detection capabilities that happens when vendors mess updates.."

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

what more do you need / want?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

It is known that most vendors are slow to react over the weekend, especially if something slips through, is broken, hardware needs replacing. Even this forum has had 'weekend' issues.

I think you need to be forgiving of people at times. Yes something broke, yes it was basically over the weekend, and yes it was fixed.

I'm not too sure what the kerfuffle is about to be honest.