spc
uniqs

DavidT8
She turned me into a newt
join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON

DavidT8 to DKS

to DKS

Re: No Photo ID? No Health Card For You!

»www.ontario.ca/governmen ··· oto-card

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Link to documents is dead... which is no surprise.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Link to documents is dead... which is no surprise.

um, nope. It took me to another page with pretty much had the same link and then to this page:

»www.ontario.ca/governmen ··· to-card#

List 1: 1 document required
Only 1 document is required to satisfy all three data elements
Identity Documents

Legal Name1

Date of Birth

Signature

1. Passport - Canadian2

2. Passport - Foreign2

3. Canadian Citizenship Card with photo3

4. Canadian Permanent Resident Card

5. Record of Landing (Form IMM 1000)

Exceptions: see footnotes2,4

6. Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form (IMM 5292)

7. Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434) Exception: see footnote2

8. Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703) with photo

9. Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IMM 1442) with photo5

10. Student Authorization/Study Permit (Form 1442)5

11. Employment Authorization /Work Permit (Form 1442)5

12. Visitor Record (Form 1442)5

13. Temporary Resident’s Permit (IMM 1442)5

- formerly Minister’s Permit/Extension of Minister’s Permit

14. Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card

- issued by the Canadian Federal Government

15. Driver’s Licence or Enhanced Driver’s Licence

- issued by Ontario6,7
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

What donoreo said. She can get the photo card, and then get her health card. Sounds like exactly the kind of situation the photo card was designed for.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
A 98 old woman will have none of the above.

She might have a birth certificate, but it'd be so old they probably won't accept it.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

What donoreo said. She can get the photo card, and then get her health card. Sounds like exactly the kind of situation the photo card was designed for.

That is just the list of "any one is good" here is the list of "any two of these"

List 2: 2 documents required
2 documents are required to satisfy all three data elements
Identity Documents

1. Birth Certificate issued by a Canadian or US jurisdiction8

2. Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (issued by Ontario only)

3. Certified Copy of Statement of Live Birth (issued by Ontario only)

4. Canadian Certificate of Indian Status - issued by the Canadian Federal Government

5. Driver’s Licence or Enhanced Driver’s Licence - issued by another Canadian or a US jurisdiction

6. Identity Card - issued by a Canadian or US jurisdiction

7. Ontario health card

8. Ontario student card with signature9

9. Declaration from a Guarantor SR-LD-4010

10. Department of National Defence (DND) identity card
NCRGuy
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

She might have a birth certificate, but it'd be so old they probably won't accept it.

Read the article before commenting please. She has "lots of documents", including a birth certificate and a marriage certificate. That, along with a declaration from a guarantor, should be enough to get her a photo card. Then she can get her health card.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by NCRGuy:

said by elwoodblues:

Read the article before commenting please. She has "lots of documents", including a birth certificate and a marriage certificate. That, along with a declaration from a guarantor, should be enough to get her a photo card. Then she can get her health card.

According to what I posted above, it is. I think these people just do not know what they are doing and instead of figuring it out, they are whining to the media.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

Bingo. That is the exact path we had to go through with my sister who doesn't have a drivers license.

Though I should point out that it is by no means anywhere even remotely close to being what I would call an easy process.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to NCRGuy

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

said by elwoodblues:

The point is "Why should she have to do that, spend an additional $35 for the photo ID when the probability that she is who she is without photo ID is realistic and significant? And why should she have to wait longer to get the photo ID and then the OHIP card?"
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by DKS:

said by NCRGuy:

said by elwoodblues:

The point is "Why should she have to do that, spend an additional $35 for the photo ID when the probability that she is who she is without photo ID is realistic and significant? And why should she have to wait longer to get the photo ID and then the OHIP card?"

So we should just issue OHIP cards to anyone who walks in the door now because they probably are who they say they are?

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
I suspect that the problem is related to the fact that while Service Ontario offices have some discretion related to what is acceptable documentation, they have absolutely zero discretion when it comes to the federal documentation related to citizenship or legal residency, such as passport or proof of citizenship, even though it may be "obvious" that she is who she says she is.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to DavidT8

to DavidT8
costs money right
now think about poor people that would have to spend 15% of the months food money on that id.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by NCRGuy:

said by elwoodblues:

Because DKS, that's the rules. If she doesn't like it, she can move to Russia.

Or, the moral of the story is, don't lose your old Red and White OHIP card. Keep it in a known safe place and don't lug it around with you...chances are if you're 96...you're not going to be out in the clubs and restaurants every night of the week.

My grandfather went nowhere for 2 years before he passed away. But he had all of his documents in 1 spot....top drawer of his dresser....smart place to put them if you ask me, I'd recommend the same to this woman.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

So we should just issue OHIP cards to anyone who walks in the door now because they probably are who they say they are?

When they can provide supporting documentation and can be vouched for, yes.
DKS

DKS to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Which obviates the position of reasonableness. Having vouched for hundreds of people over the years on passport applications and pension applications, this strikes me as bureaucracy run amuck.
NCRGuy
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by DKS:

said by nitzguy:

Which obviates the position of reasonableness. Having vouched for hundreds of people over the years on passport applications and pension applications, this strikes me as bureaucracy run amuck.

And the frequency and risks of identity theft and health care fraud have increased significantly over the years, requiring more stringent identity verification measures.

However, it seems the bureaucracy had this all sorted out and she was just impatient.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
People get OHIP cards everyday without photo ID. They have tightened the rules over the last few years and that has caused a bit of a scramble for lost birth certificates, citizenship papers etc. Occasionally this causes real trouble if for example a citizenship status isn't what the person thought it was (it does happen with our complicated system).

As already noted this woman hasn't been denied coverage. She has been given more time to get her papers in order which is reasonable. In my experience OHIP is pretty good about giving 90 day extensions (sometimes more than once). They also have a pretty good program set up for homeless people with no ID. I suspect there is either more to the story, the family got bad advice at the counter or the family has misunderstood something.