dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

[INTERNET] Any future upgrades coming soon?

Is Cogeco planning to upgrade their internet services by increasing the speeds and or monthly data caps?
They did it before to my 'high speed internet standard' service which later became 'turbo 14'.

We sure pay enough.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

My friend is a Technical Sales Rep for Cogeco and am a former installer, and from I have heard and been told the short answer is no.

They may be changing the Ultimate 30 to Ultimate 40 and the 55 to 70 ive been told, but the pricing is staying the same with the same data allowance.

I thought you had switched to Start.ca from one of your other posts.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by coaxguy:

They may be changing the Ultimate 30 to Ultimate 40 and the 55 to 70 ive been told, but the pricing is staying the same with the same data allowance.

Someone not too long ago posted in the Cogeco forum saying they were pulling 70Mbit/s on their Ultimate 55 account, so that would make sense particularly since Cogeco has a history of rolling out speed upgrades sometimes even months before they're officially announced.

Doubt we'll ever see any 100+ speeds in Cogecoland like we already have in Rogers, Shaw, Videotron and Eastlink areas for a while now. Cogeco is still only using 3 or 4 downstream channels when everyone else has already moved to 8.
robman50

robman50 to coaxguy

to coaxguy
said by coaxguy:

I thought you had switched to Start.ca from one of your other posts.

I would like to switch buy my mom is the account holder and she has her address registered with town hall. So it looks like I will have to deal with my Cogeco service.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to robman50

to robman50
they could run gigabit for all i care, but if they still cap upload at 1-2mbps, then yawn.

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

kittyburgers

Exactly, it's the upload stream I'm interested in as well. If they increase that, then I'd have something to get excited about.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Cogeco's still only running one upstream channel. Don't hold your breath.
Chong6969
join:2008-02-20
Port Colborne, ON

Chong6969

said by Gone:

Its Cogeco don't hold your breath on them doing anything thats good for the customer

coaxguy

coaxguy to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I remember getting a tech bulletin in 2008 about the rebuild in Niagara to get ready got ready for the DOCSIS 3 rollout that was coming and to be launched by 2009

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by coaxguy:

I remember getting a tech bulletin in 2008 about the rebuild in Niagara to get ready got ready for the DOCSIS 3 rollout that was coming and to be launched by 2009

... meanwhile, two years later...

coaxguy

coaxguy to robman50

to robman50
Exactly. There are still areas in St Cath and Thorold that are using unjacketed aluminum plated distribution with magnavox amps.

Cogeco is in for a world of surprises. Bell is firing up Fibe TV all over St Catharines presently.

Was just at my buddies house, he works for Bell Technical Solutions. Had it installed today. Looks great. Didnt even need fiber to the home. VDSL2 slams are popping up everwhere. Has a 90mbit /40mbit obtainable. Going to take a huge market share

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by coaxguy:

Cogeco is in for a world of surprises. Bell is firing up Fibe TV all over St Catharines presently.

Bell have been making their way down the QEW. GTA, then Hamilton, now St. Catharines and Thorold. Niagara Falls will be next as I saw a Bell truck strapping a new SLAM on the OPI near my Mom's place. St. Cats and Thorold have had 25/10 Fibe Internet (and Teksavvy and everyone else who wholesales them) there for the last nine months or so, TV usually follows 6-12 months later so I'm not surprised. I haven't been able to find a single address anywhere in St. Catharines that can't get 25/10. Bell is getting aggressive up that way, and it's amusing to see the new VDSL SLAMs bolted onto the side of an OPI that already had an ADSL2+ SLAM bolted onto the other end. There's quite a few like that in St. Cats, and for what it's worth I have yet to see an OPI anywhere in that city without a VDSL SLAM attached.

Sadly, despite being along the QEW, I am not holding my breath for Bell to roll VDSL or Fibe-anything in Fort Erie so long as I'm still alive. I could only be so lucky. If you see your friend at Bell, ask him if there's any possibility. I'm sure he'll appreciate the chuckle.

Cogeco, in the grand scheme of things, is just not competitive at all. They treat their Ontario customers with high disposable incomes as if they were in the same league as their rural Quebec customers - except for charging the Ontario customers more, of course. Even Eastlink from a technological standpoint is way way way ahead of Cogeco even in some of their middle-of-nowhere markets in Central Ontario. The only thing Cogeco has an edge on compared to everyone else is SDV, and that was most likely forced on them by necessity than anything else.

As for the condition of Cogeco's plant in St. Catharines and Thorold, I'm sure they still blame Maclean-Hunter for that.
robman50

robman50

I have been noticing an awful lot of Bell trucks out there. Maybe Beamsville is getting an upgrade? Hopefully we would see more than Bell Fibe 5 internet.

coaxguy

coaxguy to robman50

to robman50
said by robman50:

I have been noticing an awful lot of Bell trucks out there. Maybe Beamsville is getting an upgrade? Hopefully we would see more than Bell Fibe 5 internet.

They are in full force grooming all the existing copper.

Right now the big project is removing all the bridge taps from the peds and arial plant. Bridge taps are when your service line goes from the main plant interface to the peds on the street. While YOUR service drop goes from ped B to your house, the service and dialtone still carries on to ped C, D, E, etc.
robman50

robman50

hmm... I wonder since Bell and Rogers are upgrading if Cogeco will do something to keep there current customers?
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user

said by robman50:

hmm... I wonder since Bell and Rogers are upgrading if Cogeco will do something to keep their current customers?

I hope so, because if I'm still on 16/1 by the summer, I'm jumping over to fibe.

sofawall
@cgocable.net

sofawall

Anon

I got a call from a Cogeco contractor technician (IMS or something like that) about doing some preemptive maintenance because something to do with my signal levels wasn't going to mesh with an upgrade they had planned. Chatting with the tech, it was an internet upgrade of some kind, but no timeline or specifics for the change.
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user

IMS is a contracted company, they're just a bunch of cable guys in white vans, I wouldn't assume anything they say to be true.

coaxguy

coaxguy

said by cog_biz_user:

IMS is a contracted company, they're just a bunch of cable guys in white vans, I wouldn't assume anything they say to be true.

Actually this is true its called a proactive drop program. PVS contractors is doing it in St Catharines right now too
robman50

robman50

A few days ago I had a Cogeco come out to replace my modem and I asked him if it was worth for me to upgrade from Turbo 14 to 20. He said I will not notice any differences in the speed but he told me that I can 'download more'. I asked what he meant by that and he told me there is more bandwith. So my 80 GB/month cap would increase to 100 GB/month. I didn't believe that so I went to Cogeco's webpage to check out the service and it said the cap is 80 GB/month and the speeds are a bit faster than what I currently have.
Could he be on to something about an upgrade to the monthly cap on Turbo 20? Maybe they are upgrading it to 100GB (higher than Turbo 14 but lower than Ultimate 30)?

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72

Had they upgraded to 100gb I would have considered staying. 120gb for sure but looking forward to trying Start out.
swe3tdave
join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC

swe3tdave to robman50

to robman50
i'm on ultimate 40 and i've been seeing short burst of up to 90Mbps when downloading files using sftp. i'd say its not rare to see a good 70-80Mbps sustained over a couple of seconds. I'd sure like to know what's going on. Personally, i would be happy with 20Mbps, but 100Gb/month is just not enough.

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

kittyburgers to robman50

to robman50
I wasn't even aware cogoco offered an "Ultimate 40" package.
swe3tdave
join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC

swe3tdave

i'm in quebec, here we have ultimate 40 or 60 already. Usually, i never have download speed beyond 20Mbps though. Except lately, it seems to me that speeds have improved. its easier to get to 40Mbps now, it seems to me that Cogeco was overselling/overtaxing their network. sure looks to me that their fixing that.