Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan

Re: [TV] Cancelling service - notice required

I love my Shaw Direct for TV, Cogeco for TV sucks WAY to much for $90/month.
Digital Select 1 became Digital Favourites and best of all, no more stupid rental fees.
I kept my internet and phone and just dropped the CATV all in the same day.

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
We just made the change. The Shaw Direct current offer is great! No charge for PVR on 3 yr contract. Basic receiver for 2nd TV purchased at $79 (IIRC). Reduced monthly rate for 3 months for content. In the end $77.52.mo for two receiver service. Cogeco wasn't even close and then there was the HD quality problem. Also changed to Express 8 which should be fine for us - it is better than we used to get from Cogeco Standard.

BTW - No 30 day issue because as Gone confirmed, we are keeping internet access.

So all's well that ends well!

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
If you contact a Shaw Rep directly, you get an HD PVR for free and each HD receiver is only $50. No contracts. If anyone is interested I have the email of one.

Dingaan

Bath, ON
said by Phorkster:

If you contact a Shaw Rep directly, you get an HD PVR for free and each HD receiver is only $50. No contracts. If anyone is interested I have the email of one.

I haven't signed a contract yet. All verbal. But I think the rep I spoke to said free PVR was contingent on keeping it for 3 years otherwise there would be some charge. We just have to pay for the programming plus $6.08 for second receiver. I thought basic receiver was more than $50, but hard to read my notes!

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Phorkster
said by Phorkster:

Just curious, send me an pm of the email address that you have. I wonder if that is one of the reps that I used.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

I haven't signed a contract yet. All verbal. But I think the rep I spoke to said free PVR was contingent on keeping it for 3 years otherwise there would be some charge.

I got 1 advanced HD receiver and 1 standard HD receiver for the equivalent of the HST. If I quit before 1 year of service I have to return the receivers. After a year (which just occurred) the receivers are mine.

Saving big bucks, and better service.

My only quibble is no CHCH in HD.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

robman50

Beamsville, ON
said by dillyhammer:

said by Dingaan:

I haven't signed a contract yet. All verbal. But I think the rep I spoke to said free PVR was contingent on keeping it for 3 years otherwise there would be some charge.

My only quibble is no CHCH in HD.

Same here. If I want CHCH in HD I would have to put 11-1 on.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
At least you can get CHCH over the air. I can't, 15 is occupied by a low power Christian station in Buffalo.

Dingaan

Bath, ON
said by Gone:

At least you can get CHCH over the air.

Accessing local stations is something I had forgotten about. For Kingston this is what I found (seems we are OK?)

"As of September 2011, no Canadian terrestrial station serving Kingston has applied for a digital transitional television license. Kingston was not one of the 31 markets in which the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) imposed a mandatory analogue shutdown on August 31, 2011.[4]

CKWS currently has no plans for digital terrestrial operation in Kingston nor at its other translators in Prescott and Smiths Falls. CKWS has converted its Brighton translator CKWS-TV-1 to digital channel 30 on August 31, 2011 due to the fact that its current analog UHF channel 66 falls in the band that will be reallocated; however, the digital signal will not be broadcast in HD until CKWS installs the appropriate equipment in their studios.[5]

CKWS is available digitally as part of the Bell TV and Shaw Direct satellite pay-TV packages.

Its sister station CHEX-TV is expected to "probably not be broadcasting HD over-the-air until the end of 2011, at the earliest."[6]"

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

At least you can get CHCH over the air. I can't, 15 is occupied by a low power Christian station in Buffalo.

Would that be the TCT network?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Yes.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
For some reason I get that also on 15-1 through 15-4 and I get CHCH on 11-1 over here in Beamsville.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
CHCH runs on physical UHF 15 even though the virtual channel is 11. It would be impossible for you to be getting 15 out of Buffalo up in Grimsby, as it's a digital LP and the signal doesn't go anywhere beyond the inner part of Buffalo and Fort Erie. You can't even get it in Niagara Falls. What you're probably seeing is 26 out of Jamestown with a virtual channel of 15 assigned.