spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NotAFanofMJ

@mtsallstream.net

Recommended alternatives to MagicJack?

As MJ has such awful customer service I was wondering if there are any similar priced alternatives to the MJ Plus (device that works on its own without a computer).

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Wait a minute...

You can make phone calls without a computer?

hmishra
Premium
join:2006-01-04
Flower Mound, TX
reply to NotAFanofMJ

said by NotAFanofMJ :

As MJ has such awful customer service I was wondering if there are any similar priced alternatives to the MJ Plus (device that works on its own without a computer).

I have heard people have had success with Neotalk which is similarly priced as MJ. Of course, BYOD VOIPPs abound, information for which can be found on this very forum. In no particular order of recommendation, some are Anveo, Callcentric, VOIP.ms, Future-Nine etc. Read the reviews before deciding which one to go with.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to NotAFanofMJ

said by NotAFanofMJ :

As MJ has such awful customer service . . .

Just wondering, how much customer service should one expect at the prices they charge?

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Well I have been unable to get ANY questions answered at magicjack.com/techchat where I usually go. It won't connect in any browser. Its not in my System32/drivers/etc/hosts file (that might have blocked it).

I'm in Canada and would like to know if you pay $10 more for a Canadian number once or every year. It used to be once. Also if there are other changes besides them raising by 50% the amount it costs to renew your annual account. ($20 to $30). For Canadians it might be $40 a year now. That's double from before.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to NotAFanofMJ

What are you looking for in a VoIP provider? If you're looking for something that is pre-configured and ready to go, you might want to consider VOIPo. They include an ATA and will fully support it, and their costs are very reasonable.

If you're comfortable learning about the technology, you can consider a BYOD provider such as Callcentric, VoIP.ms, or Future Nine. You can then supply your own ATA (such as the OBi100) or IP Phone. This will give you the most flexibility, but it isn't as easy to set up.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to NotAFanofMJ

If you want pre-configured - you can also add Ooma to the mix. Or Vonage.

hmishra
Premium
join:2006-01-04
Flower Mound, TX

said by scooper:

...Or Vonage.

Hmmm....I don't think Vonage quite satisfies the criteria of being similarly priced to MJ Plus.

I mean, sure it is competatively priced compared to a landline, but not other VOIPPs.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to NotAFanofMJ

Personally I'm a happy MJ+ user, but in Canada if you are looking for similarly priced alternatives, your options are:

»www.freephoneline.ca/ (I'm told you can set it up with a hardware SIP adapter)

or

»www.nettalk.com/ (net talk DUO)

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to gweidenh

said by gweidenh:

Yes, the MagicJack Plus plugs directly into your router to make calls. You only need a Windows computer once when you set it up the first time.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by lugnut :

said by gweidenh:

Yes, the MagicJack Plus plugs directly into your router to make calls. You only need a Windows computer once when you set it up the first time.

He was being sarcastic.

lugnut

@look.ca

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by lugnut :

said by gweidenh:

He was being sarcastic.

I didn't see any emoticons or other indications of sarcasm. Also a lot of people are still only familiar with the original MJ which DID require a computer. The MJ+ has only been around for two years now.

As for the other fellow who inquired as to renewal costs for a Canadian number, with MJ currently it's $10 extra every year to renew a Canadian number. Otherwise it goes back into the pool and you get a random American number for free. Total renewal for a year of MJ+ service is about $40 per year now. Still cheap even compared to the alternatives I listed previously.

Since we're Canadians we're used to getting reamed on products and services Americans get for peanuts

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by lugnut :

I didn't see any emoticons or other indications of sarcasm.

Well, the fellow has been on this website for over 10 years, and is a frequent poster on this VoIP forum.

Also, when you see an American say:

That's a good tipoff.

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to NotAFanofMJ

Google voice with Obi adapter. Completely free(At least for now) and you can use Obi for other VOIP providers. Additionally to those mentioned definitely Localphone.com

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to NotAFanofMJ

said by NotAFanofMJ :

Google Voice (at least until the end of the year) is free. An OBi100 VoIP adapter (which allows you to use Google Voice with a regular phone) is about $35 at Amazon.

You could also use that adapter for voice services from CallCentric, Anveo, Vitelity, voip.ms, callwithus.com and many others. All of these would be a lot cheaper than your local phone service -- some would be about a penny a minute, plus a DID charge and (for most of these) a 911 fee per month.

Personally my impression of MagicJack is not very favorable. I file their service under "you get what you pay for."

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to cell14

said by cell14:

Google voice with Obi adapter. Completely free(At least for now) and you can use Obi for other VOIP providers. Additionally to those mentioned definitely Localphone.com

You beat me to it.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to cell14

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so no Google Voice for me. Gmail works very well for outgoing calls though.

Good suggestions so far. Many thanks to those contributing. There seems to be 2 classes of VOIP. Vonage, Primus and the like who have enormous advertising budgets and charge about half of normal phone service with the same quality as Magicjack most of the time, and companies like MJ and Voip.ms which charge a fraction of the phone company and operate on a small scale.

cell14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com

said by dsl2u:

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so no Google Voice for me. Gmail works very well for outgoing calls though.

If you know somebody who opens for you a new Gmail account with Google voice in the US( and provides a verification US number) you would be able to use Google Voice from Canada. I did it for somebody and configured the Obi for GV and Localphone and she can use it now in her country.

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to rblizz

I think I'm looking for unlimited incoming and outgoing calling like MagicJack. Localphone.com is like voip.ms. They charge for every minute.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by dsl2u:

I think I'm looking for unlimited incoming and outgoing calling like MagicJack. Localphone.com is like voip.ms. They charge for every minute.

How many minutes a month do you use? And, if you mostly call the same person (or persons) you could both (or several of you) set up with CallCentric (or one of the others) and call each other for free. CallCentric even offers free unlimited incoming NY numbers (there will be a monthly 911 charge, however).

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
reply to dsl2u

I should ask, what does MagicJack charge (to buy the device and for yearly charges)?

cell14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to rblizz

said by rblizz:

said by cell14:

You beat me to it.

Sorry, I needed the 100000.- $ price for fast response.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by cell14:

Sorry, I needed the 100000.- $ price for fast response.

"I was ... this ... close."

cell14

Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to dsl2u

said by dsl2u:

There is no such thing like" unlimited" with the unlimited providers.Usually, there is a cap on both minutes and numbers of calls to different numbers, restrictions which numbers/area codes/exchanges you can call, restrictions on conferencing etc.

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to dsl2u

For anyone satisfied with a US number, MJ can be re-cycled by using GVJack software which has a one-time charge only. See pcphonesoft for more info.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
reply to dsl2u

said by dsl2u:

Unfortunately I'm in Canada so no Google Voice for me.

A free IPKall number (Washington area codes 206, 253, 360, and 425) SIP forwarded to a free CallCentric IP Freedom account may help you overcome some of the hurdles.

Something to keep in mind with an IPKall phone number... it must be used at least once every 30 days (call must be answered/completed).

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to zapattack

said by zapattack:

For anyone satisfied with a US number, MJ can be re-cycled by using GVJack software which has a one-time charge only. See pcphonesoft for more info.

I think that can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to dsl2u

said by dsl2u:

Where do you call to? If you just call major Canadian cities then FreePhoneLine may be your best option. It gives you a Canadian incoming number (if that matters to you). You could still use Gmail for outgoing calls that are not free with FreePhoneLine.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.11.0 with Asterisk GUI on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

....Since we're Canadians we're used to getting reamed on products and services Americans get for peanuts

What ?

We can get reamed for PEANUTS ?!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to toro

said by toro:

I think that [MJ Plus] can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.

No, with MJ Plus, you have a choice to do that, OR to hook it to your router and use an AC adapter for power, like most other ATAs, AFAIK.

But the other issues with MJ still apply.

As for the OP, it looks like YAPAR (Yet Another Post And Run).