uniqs
share rss forum feed

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

[iO] Cablevision will launch Galavision HD

Effective Wednesday, December 12, 2012, Cablevision will launch Galavision in both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) in the New Haven, Norwalk and Litchfield areas. Galavision is dedicated to providing a live, direct connection to the people, places and events that matter most to Hispanic America. Galavision SD will launch on channel 198 and Galavision HD will launch on channel 844. In addition, Galavision will be repositioned from its existing channel 66 on the Bridgeport system to 198, thereby creating a standard position across our footprint.

(I know it states CT but this usually means it will be rolled out everywhere)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
I suspect now that everyone is digital, and they've been signing some programming deals with the bigger companies, that Cablevision customers are going to be seeing a lot of new HD channels.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ
I would hope so. I was looking at some of the sd channels that aren't on HD and I would like to see them there. I know that some not all are HD to. Now that the digital conversion is done lets see some more HD please.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
The digital conversion is not done yet, there are still some systems left.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to dm145
Where's kickass69 See Profile ? He'll be thrilled!

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to Os
said by Os:

I suspect now that everyone is digital, and they've been signing some programming deals with the bigger companies, that Cablevision customers are going to be seeing a lot of new HD channels.

yeah, alot more useless uninterested content in HD none the less.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to Os
said by Os:

While it is nice to have HD Channels (if you have an HD box and TV), I do not like the way CV forces you to watch the HD feed even if you are willing to (and want to) watch and record the SD feed. If I have a non-HD STB and tune to Channel 2, I get the SD WCBS feed. With a HD STB tuning to Channel 2 gets you the HS feed from Channel 702 (IOW: Both CH2 and CH702 map to the same HD feed). The same applies to the other HD feeds since the HD STB automatically maps to the HD feed even though you tune to the Non-HD (ie: SD) channel number. While I understand this is done to make it easy for the customer to get the HD feed without needing to tune to the 7xx-8xx HD channel range. The problem is that the normal SD feed is unaccessible with an HD box instead of just being mapped into the 1xxx range. This has the downside that when you record a show it uses 4 times the Hard Drive space as would be used with the SD feed of the same show. The HD DVRs not only are not programmed to be able to tune to the SD feed but come with undersized Hard Drives that have half the recording time as the dives in the SD DVR.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to limegrass69
Thrilled as a man waiting at the MVC.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
reply to dm145
went live in nj today

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

I do not like the way CV forces you to watch the HD feed

I like that CV does that.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to RARPSL
Well, that explains why the football scores shown in the upper left corner of the broadcast screen of my non-HD TV now only partially appear.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
said by DownTheShore:

Well, that explains why the football scores shown in the upper left corner of the broadcast screen of my non-HD TV now only partially appear.

If you have a non-HD TV (4:3 aspect ratio), then you should get a non-HD box for it (SA 4200, SA 1850, etc.)

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by RARPSL:

I do not like the way CV forces you to watch the HD feed

I like that CV does that.

Thank You for misquoting me (ie: Quoting me out of context).

I was griping not that the display was HD by default on the SD channel numbers but that there was no way to tune to the SD feed on a HD box. My suggestion was to just map the SD feeds to the 1xxx range on a HD box so that this feed can be viewed and more importantly recorded. Right now due to the undersized Hard Drives (only twice not 4 times the size of those in the SD DVRs) you get less recording time when you record the HD feed on a HD box than you get when you record the SD feed on a SD box (while the HD drives are twice the size as the SD this amounts to half the size when you are forced to record the HD as opposed to the SD feeds of the same list of shows since it takes 4 times the space to record a HD as opposed to SD feed).

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by RARPSL:

My suggestion was to just map the SD feeds to the 1xxx range on a HD box so that this feed can be viewed and more importantly recorded.

OK, I didn't realize that's what you were saying.

I don't have a DVR, so I don't care about SD feeds. They can go away entirely as far as I'm concerned.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RARPSL
putting the SD channels in the 1000's=confusion for the 99.9999% of customers who don't even realize there is a "problem"

I laugh now when visiting a fios house and some asks, what channel is CBS HD or why is game not in high def. unless home owner is in earshot we have to go searching for it, forget if it is a non broadcast channel that isn't xx2

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Figuring out a way to make it work where you can choose a menu option to record in SD, but not mapping the channel in the guide to tune live to it would be an effective way to make the tiny amount of people who want this happy. I don't know if CV will find it worth it. You can do this for DVR+ (record to SD or HD), but I suspect that a majority of people are like me and delete a good percentage of what they record after viewing, and don't often come near max capacity. That's not to say there is no merit in offering an SD option, but I'd rather not view something in SD, so I wouldn't record in SD.

Galavision is in some regions already, but not all (prior to this).