share rss forum feed

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to mettachain

Re: So I caved and i'm back

said by mettachain:

actually Win8 pretty handy. I put it on one my laptops (from 2008) and it runs pretty damned fast. Fast startup, fast running apps, fast resume from sleep mode. Learning the different and new command to bring up and exit out of stuff was a little slow but guess what? There's an app for that! lol

I bought a new desktop that arrived last week with win8 on it and I've not had any trouble with it at all. Like you say, the interface is radically different so doing simple things like trying to shut it down took some time to get used to, but so far I've not had any serious issues other than some websites not displaying correctly under IE10 (and that Chrome and Firefox are not yet available for Win8 so I don't have alternatives).

The one thing that I find humorously ironic however, is that Microsoft didn't have the drivers available for the xbox controller under Win8 yet. Funny since they are putting so much oneous on the xbox/pc integrations. Not a huge issue for me since I prefer the keyboard to play WoW anyhow and the wife can still use the xbox controller for playing on our Win7 laptop.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

said by Carpie:

[and the wife can still use the xbox controller for playing on our Win7 laptop.

You can play WoW with an Xbox controller?

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1

yes, i read about a program a year or so ago that you can use the xbox controller for playing wow. or any other pc game for the that matter.
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

Not free then I'm assuming?

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1

Carpie?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

Looks like you can do this easily by using a software packages that translates controller button presses into keyboard/mouse inputs. Xpadder (www.xpadder.com) is available for $10.

Carpie

united state

Right-O. Xpadder is what I ended up using for the $10 it's well worth the money. I started with xinmapper from sourceforge.net and it allows the basics but doesn't have nearly the functionality of xpadder.

It works pretty slick. The left hand joystick we use for movement, the right hand joystick is for the mouse pointer (or panning the camer if you hold in the "right mouse button"). We mapped left click and right click to the RB and LB buttons. The rest of they buttons I map 1-9 and just put whatever spells in those slots that I want. I leave the bottom of the crosspad mapped to "tab" so I can easily select between the enemies.

It works good for simple questing from the couch and/or low levels but certainly isn't for endgame. More for novelty or wives that like to play pandas because "they are cute".

Carpie

united state
reply to mettachain

said by mettachain:

yes, i read about a program a year or so ago that you can use the xbox controller for playing wow. or any other pc game for the that matter.

True. Allows the xbox controller to be used with any game in place of keyboard/mouse. Hell you could even write a paper with the xbox controller as long as you didn't use more than 12 letters

Outside of games the controller can essentially replace the mouse (not that you would ever want to) as you control the mouse cursor with it and use the buttons to left-click / right-click.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

More for novelty or the ladies that like to play pandas because "they are cute".

...and how could THAT be a bad thing...ever?