uniqs
share rss forum feed

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

[WIN7] Keep getting "Additional log on information" po

It started today. I got the notice that there were updates to be installed so I did and they installed and I rebooted the computer. Now I am constantly getting a popup in the lower left corner that says "Additional log on information may be required. Click to open your browser"

Since I am here making this post its obvious the internet is working. I am not on a wifi hotspot or any kind of connection that requires logging into, just my internet at home that works fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to turn off this message? I have vmware player that installs 2 virtual adapters for networking the vm. I also have an intel wifi adapter that also installs 2 virtual adapters for Wifi Direct or Intel WiDi. I disabled those so the only enabled connection is the one I'm using. I'm not sure what else I can try.

Thanks.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

tomazyk

join:2006-12-04

Re: [WIN7] Keep getting "Additional log on information"

It also happened in my Virtualbox installation. Are you using OpenDNS? Here is a link to similar discussion: »www.sevenforums.com/general-disc···-up.html

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to OmagicQ
Click for full size
Well, today is Patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of the month). I was current prior to today, so the updates shown in the picture above is what is being offered to me. All patches listed were released today.

I have not installed them yet. I'm just showing this to maybe help you track down what update could be causing the issue your seeing.

--Brian

tomazyk

Kernel-mode driver framework or User-mode driver framework are prime suspects to me.

A thread has been opened on OpenDNS forum: »forums.opendns.com/comments.php?···ID=16465

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
Thanks. this is interesting. I use opendns. I will try changing my dns to something else to see what happens.
--

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
reply to tomazyk
said by tomazyk:

It also happened in my Virtualbox installation. Are you using OpenDNS? Here is a link to similar discussion: »www.sevenforums.com/general-disc···-up.html

In that thread a user posted that they uninstalled "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2750841)" »support.microsoft.com/kb/2750841

I uninstalled it and rebooted, the popup went away. I've also hidden the update so windows update doesn't keep telling me to install it.
--

tomazyk

I can confirm that. Removing update solves the problem.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT
reply to OmagicQ
I can confirm removing OpenDNS and setting it back to my local ISP DNS servers solves the problem.

A lot easier than uninstalling today's updates. !!!

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA

1 recommendation

That update is all about IPv6, Since I don't get IPv6 yet, for me its a non-issue. Here's the full text of the "fixes" from the microsoft support page link I posted.

Issue 1
When you assign a public IPv4 address in an environment, 6to4 addresses are automatically assigned to the servers and clients computers. This behavior is by default and occurs even when the computer does not have an E2E IPv6 connection or a 6to4 connection. Therefore, you may be unable to connect to IPv6 sites.

Note: The expected behavior is that Windows clients do not assign 6to4 addresses unless the connection is confirmed.

This update enables Windows to check whether the relay can be reached before Windows adds a route to it. Windows deletes the route if the connection to the relay is unavailable. This behavior prevents Windows from trying to connect to an IPv6 address that cannot be reached through the relay.

Note: The relay is the 6to4 public route that the 6to4 packet uses to reach its destination.

Issue 2
If you use many IPv6 address and IPv6 routes, the kernel memory is exhausted, and CPU usage reaches 100 percent.

This update limits the number of advertised prefixes and routes that each interface can process to 100.

Issue 3
If a computer has a public IPv4 address and if Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, the computer broadcasts a router advertisement (RA) message for the 6to4 address that is generated. Therefore, other computers are assigned IPv6 addresses. This behavior disconnects these computers if the computer that broadcasts the 6to4 RA does not have an E2E 6to4 connection.

Note: Because of recommendations in the RFC 6343 document, you cannot disable 6to4 sharing.

After this update is installed, the automatic Connection Sharing 6to4 sharing functionality in Windows is disabled by default.

Issue 4
Assume that a computer is configured to use an IPv6 connection as the default connection. Additionally, assume that the computer does not have a connection to an IPv6 network. In this situation, it takes a long time for the computer to connect to an IPv6 site.

This issue occurs because Windows tries the IPv6 connection first. After the connection fails because of a time-out error, Windows tries the IPv4 connection.

After this update is installed, Windows uses the NCSI functionality to examine the Ipv6 connection. If the connection is broken, Windows uses IPv4 instead of IPv6.
--

mijcar

@comcast.net
reply to tomazyk
It cost me $103, but MS fixed it.

This involves a change in a registry key. Don't do this if you are not familiar with such changes. Always backup your registry first.

Open regedit and navigate as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet

Double-click on EnableActiveProbing

Change value to 0.

Best Wishes,
Michael

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT
Michael,

I almost feel bad that I am taking advantage of something that cost you so much... but I am sure I'll get over it.

But I am curious why it is only a problem with OpenDNS and not my local ISP DNS server... Hmmm.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to OmagicQ
IPv6 readiness update.

I'd be skipping that anyway...

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
reply to OmagicQ
I too was having this problem. I just uninstalled KB2750841 and all is good.
--
»www.teknonerd.com

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
It's being discussed in the opendns forum, opendns redirection is the culprit it appears.

"In order to resolve this, please log into the Dashboard and select Settings. After that, select your network, and then choose "Customization" in the left-hand menu. You will be brought to a page that you will allow you to toggle the "Enabled NX Domain Redirection" option. Please disable that option.

After that, flush your DNS resolver cache and web browser cache on each device to ensure that your new DNS configuration settings take effect immediately. Instructions to clear your DNS resolver cache can be found here: »www.opendns.com/support/article/68, and instructions to clear your web browser cache can be found here: »www.opendns.com/support/article/67. "

»forums.opendns.com/comments.php?···1#Item_0

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to mijcar
said by mijcar :

I find this very disheartening that MS charged you $103 bucks to fix/tweak their patch. They should not have charged you anything.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to mijcar
said by mijcar :

This involves a change in a registry key. Don't do this if you are not familiar with such changes. Always backup your registry first.

Change value to 0.

Best Wishes,
Michael

That fix was described in the OpenDNS forum thread linked to by tomazyk See Profile above.....for FREE. As is uninstalling the patch.

I too find it rather disingenuous of MS to charge you to fix their borked patch.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,694 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

tomazyk

1 recommendation

reply to OmagicQ
OpenDNS fixed the issue by adding exclusions for problematic domains:

»forums.opendns.com/comments.php?···2#Item_2

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to OmagicQ
Thanks for posting this. Every since the KB2647753 debacle back in Aug., I check for problems before letting WU install everything it wants to install.

mijcar

@comcast.net
reply to OmagicQ
Original post amended for latest 2 important updates:

UPDATE #1: MS agreed to a refund.

Change value to 0.

UPDATE #2:
Reboot.
Use Internet Explorer.
Allow to simmer for a couple of hours (my own superstitious behavior).

Return to same registry entry and change 0 back to 1.

Problem should now be fixed.

Best wishes,
Michael

OmagicQ

Bakersfield, CA
After considering it, I went ahead and reinstalled the update and then used the registry modification. I have a network meter gadget that shows my external ip and to do that it has to query a server (whatismyip or ipchicken...not sure) so I don't need NCSI to tell me whether I have internet or not.
--

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by mijcar :

I find this very disheartening that MS charged you $103 bucks to fix/tweak their patch. They should not have charged you anything.

I agree!
It is my understanding that MS will provide free service if it relates to problems with security updates. The problem is if you don't know its related to security updates and phone in for support.

I had a problem with an older MS Office suite that was caused by security updates. I phoned in and had to really work hard to convince the guy that we were talking about problems with security updates to an out of date MS Office suite rather than providing tech support for the Suite.

Once he understood then he dropped the demand that if I wanted tech support I needed to cough up $103.