Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to crazypants

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

I've had this ever since having VDSL in march... Not as bad as crazypants', but its been consistantly below full speeds during peak hours...

As usual Speedtest.net tests are multithreaded and mask the results... but the old Java tests are accurate, but teksavvy doesnt have a java test anymore so Caneris is the only reliable one left.

10:05pm

9:00pm

7:43pm

Edit: I think I found the thread you mentioned, it's mine... Have to disregard a bit of it, as I had issues with the modem firmware being wrong for the remote, but after that was resolved the congestion factor didnt get any better.

»[DSL] Upgraded to 25/7, experiencing congestion
--

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Honestly, I think the test is inaccurate. I got:

but just 15 mins earlier I was getting maxed out (2.5Mbps) downloads on a torrent.

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
reply to HiVolt

»speedtest.cogeco.net/ is also worth trying out. I'm not sure where it's hosted though.

TSI Rizwaan

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
reply to Bhruic

Torrents are muliththreaded... So are most speedtests...

Heck i just downloaded the XP SP3 pack, and got around 900KB/sec on a single threaded download in firefox... then i used a download manager with 8 threads and presto full speed...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Support1

said by TSI Support1:

»speedtest.cogeco.net/ is also worth trying out. I'm not sure where it's hosted though.

TSI Rizwaan

Hey, I forgot about that one.... thanks...

--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

And presto, by midnight it's gone...

Expand your moderator at work

crazypants

join:2011-02-25
North York, ON
reply to Bhruic

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

Bhruic,

You seem to be having a slow down too.

Bhruic

Toronto, ON

I understand the test indicates I am, I just haven't seen any effects of that slow down in anything I've tried to do.

crazypants

North York, ON

So when you download a file you get the full rate per sec?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by crazypants:

A single file without the use of download managers, that is...

Anything that is a mulit threaded download like torrents, usenet, http with download managers masks the effects of congestion.
--

crazypants

North York, ON

ok got ya

Bhruic

Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to crazypants

said by crazypants:

No, but the only real downloading that I do is torrents, which as Hivolt mentions is multithreaded. Anything else I do (watch videos, etc), the decrease in maximum speed isn't a factor. I don't have any problem watching YouTube videos at 1080, for example.

Not saying that means the problem doesn't exist, just that for me, practically speaking, it has no impact on my internet experience.

crazypants

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

When I'm streaming live video, I get constant buffering. Youtube video at 1080 would load, but these are preloaded videos that have time to buffer and don't get effected unless at the very peak (after 9 pm)
My biggest problem is the live streaming of video which usually starts at about 7 p.m. My tracert shows that the pings go up to 200ms every 4-5th hop which interferes with the streaming.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

This is on a 19455/1086 profile.