how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to cell14

Re: Recommended alternatives to MagicJack?

said by cell14:

Google voice with Obi adapter. Completely free(At least for now) and you can use Obi for other VOIP providers. Additionally to those mentioned definitely Localphone.com

You beat me to it.

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
I think I'm looking for unlimited incoming and outgoing calling like MagicJack. Localphone.com is like voip.ms. They charge for every minute.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
said by dsl2u:

I think I'm looking for unlimited incoming and outgoing calling like MagicJack. Localphone.com is like voip.ms. They charge for every minute.

How many minutes a month do you use? And, if you mostly call the same person (or persons) you could both (or several of you) set up with CallCentric (or one of the others) and call each other for free. CallCentric even offers free unlimited incoming NY numbers (there will be a monthly 911 charge, however).

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
reply to dsl2u
I should ask, what does MagicJack charge (to buy the device and for yearly charges)?

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to rblizz
said by rblizz:

said by cell14:

Google voice with Obi adapter. Completely free(At least for now) and you can use Obi for other VOIP providers. Additionally to those mentioned definitely Localphone.com

You beat me to it.

Sorry, I needed the 100000.- $ price for fast response.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
said by cell14:

Sorry, I needed the 100000.- $ price for fast response.

"I was ... this ... close."

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

There is no such thing like" unlimited" with the unlimited providers.Usually, there is a cap on both minutes and numbers of calls to different numbers, restrictions which numbers/area codes/exchanges you can call, restrictions on conferencing etc.

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to dsl2u
For anyone satisfied with a US number, MJ can be re-cycled by using GVJack software which has a one-time charge only. See pcphonesoft for more info.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
said by zapattack:

For anyone satisfied with a US number, MJ can be re-cycled by using GVJack software which has a one-time charge only. See pcphonesoft for more info.

I think that can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
said by toro:

I think that [MJ Plus] can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.

No, with MJ Plus, you have a choice to do that, OR to hook it to your router and use an AC adapter for power, like most other ATAs, AFAIK.

But the other issues with MJ still apply.

As for the OP, it looks like YAPAR (Yet Another Post And Run).

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
When using the MJ service, yes, you are correct. However I was replying to a post about using GVJack. I highly doubt GVJack knows how to modify the firmware inside the MJ Plus so that it can connect directly to GV without the use of a PC.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to Davesnothere
Actually I think some of my replies didn't post as you seem to have to hit the Post Now! button twice in Opera. Sorry about that.

dsl2u

CANADA
reply to cell14
I don't think I would need more than about 1000 a month as long as Gmail is free. If its not, then maybe 2000-3000 for those long calls on hold with some businesses these days. What is the typical cap with MJ, OOma, FreePhoneLine, etc?

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to rblizz
MJ Plus (the only one to get) is about $70 including a year of service.
Renewal of number is $30 for those lucky enough to live in the US.
For us reamed out Canadians its $10 extra.

The downside is the lack of customer service (putrid) and the crappy MJ software that interferes with the Sleep function of Windows computers. Probably interferes with a lot more things as well.

The calling quality of MJ is quite fine most of the time.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
reply to toro
said by toro:

....I highly doubt GVJack knows how to modify the firmware inside the MJ Plus so that it can connect directly to GV without the use of a PC.

Ahhhh - I had not heard of GV Jack.

So is this a mod that you can make to a MagicJack ?