share rss forum feed

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to speedxdesign

Re: [HSI] Maintenance Schedule

I am sure it could be done as all local customer are on a Network and a Network message could be sent out to all connected systems on the network. This is possible with today's software (wall command), but it might require some testing and supporting firmware in the modems. I am sure they don't want to notify everyone to avoid all the bitching about when or why it is going to be done.

I no i drive me crazy, i watch TV late at night and many time a week the TV goes out for a hour or so and it is always in the middle of a movie i started watching.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by mmainprize:

I am sure it could be done as all local customer are on a Network and a Network message could be sent out to all connected systems on the network. This is possible with today's software (wall command), but it might require some testing and supporting firmware in the modems.

How would the message sent to a modem get to the end users on PCs, TVs, tablets, smartphones, game systems, VOIP, etc.? Would the modem intercept packets? Which packets?

How would you narrow down the message to only the affected customers? What or who would initiate the alert?

These things aren't nearly as easy as one might think. Just the variety of systems involved becomes mind boggling. I've seen this same issue brought up time and again for over a dozen years...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.