toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to zapattack

Re: Recommended alternatives to MagicJack?

said by zapattack:

For anyone satisfied with a US number, MJ can be re-cycled by using GVJack software which has a one-time charge only. See pcphonesoft for more info.

I think that can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!

said by toro:

I think that [MJ Plus] can be used only through the USB so you still depends on a PC to be on all the time like with the old MJ.

No, with MJ Plus, you have a choice to do that, OR to hook it to your router and use an AC adapter for power, like most other ATAs, AFAIK.

But the other issues with MJ still apply.

As for the OP, it looks like YAPAR (Yet Another Post And Run).

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

When using the MJ service, yes, you are correct. However I was replying to a post about using GVJack. I highly doubt GVJack knows how to modify the firmware inside the MJ Plus so that it can connect directly to GV without the use of a PC.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
reply to Davesnothere

Actually I think some of my replies didn't post as you seem to have to hit the Post Now! button twice in Opera. Sorry about that.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
reply to toro

said by toro:

....I highly doubt GVJack knows how to modify the firmware inside the MJ Plus so that it can connect directly to GV without the use of a PC.

Ahhhh - I had not heard of GV Jack.

So is this a mod that you can make to a MagicJack ?