join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Cortland

Re: When will we see a Retina iMac?

I frankly dont see the need for one... How close do you sit to your screen?

Right now I'm sitting in front of a 2560x1600 30" screen with a pixel pitch of .255mm which is only about 100PPI, but I sit 2 feet in front of it and I don't see the pixels.

Cortland
Premium
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

You are right. On the other hand when I saw the iPad mini it looked horrible compared to the Retina iPad so what happens to your argument? With the iMac there are no power constraints (as opposed to the laptop), but the sheer size of that panel makes it just a $ 5000 panel today. I guess Apple is waiting for the price to come down.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I don't think we'll see 300PPI+ desktop displays... I just don't think its necessary.

Sure, someday we'll see higher resolution, but it wont be a dramatic jump like we saw to the 300PPI+ phone/tablet displays.

Cortland
Premium
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Yeah who needs more than 640K right? Apple is gonna ship that puppy the minute they can say "and for an extra $ 600...one more thing" and we will all swoon like Aluminum eaters to the credit card(s).

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt

I have the same 30" Dell panels and I can see the pixels without much issue.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cortland

There comes a point where the eye can no longer discern individual pixels. At that point you have a valid "who needs it" moment. While new apps and processes will require more and more memory, the eye will not see any better. But yeah, I'll throttle that CC in a second if they rolled one out.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

When sitting 2 feet away during normal use?

Of course I can see the pixels when i stick my nose to it.
--

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by HiVolt:

said by skeechan:

When sitting 2 feet away during normal use?

Of course I can see the pixels when i stick my nose to it.

I know right ... my Thunderbolt display looks phenomenal and when you don't have anything different sitting right beside it to reference it to there's no way you could tell the difference between it and a retina display.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HiVolt

I don't know exactly how far but it is fingertip distance and I'm 6' tall, so more than 2' I would guess. I can see the pixel edges of icons and stuff on the Dell pretty easily (like the Premium tags here on DSLR and particularly when italicized). On my T-Bolt display I can't from the same distance. It's odd because the T-Bolt is 109PPI while the Dell is 101. Maybe it is the glass and coating on the T-Bolt that softens the image just enough so I can't see it.