how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gabe

join:2009-11-30
Whitby, ON

Question about FTTH

So I know FTTN (which I have now, Fibe25) uses pppoe login to authenticate and get onto the network, but looking at the Fibe50 and higher, the straight Fiber to your home, how do they authenticate? I pressume it's not with PPPOE, is it a direct connection like cable?

I use a home setup for work and it's very picky, i've had countless phone calls about it, and it seems it only works perfectly with PPPOE.

I'm looking to upgrade, and just curious about these specifics.

Thanks All
gabe

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
It is using Pppoe too.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
why would it be any different? the only difference is the cable thats run to your house is fibre optic instead of twisted pair. you still have a modem at the other end this should not change.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

gabe

Whitby, ON
reply to gabe
dunno i just figured things would change. Glad to hear it's still PPPOE and things may work out for me.

Anybody know what type of modems are used?

Thanks for all the help.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to gabe
Technically, it is not a modem, it is an Optical Network Terminator which switches signal from optical to/from electrical. The ONT also provides service monitoring and management facilities to the network operator.

As for which model Bell uses, it is a Sagem F@st. Not sure exactly which model.

gabe

Whitby, ON
Awesome thanks for the response!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to gabe
It's the same model for Fibe25 FTTN.

gabe

Whitby, ON
Great now if i could stop getting contradicting info from the website, i'd be good.

Said earlier this morning i qualified, now it says i don't. Typical

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
great stuff

kibosh

join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON
reply to gabe
FTTH is only available to some brand new subdivisions in Whitby.