Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Remove/repair broken drain valve (compressor)

We need to repair an air compressor that had the drain valve snapped off of it, as shown in the pics below. In no particular order...

- Option # 1 is to just remove (replace) the 2" to 1/4" hex reducing bushing, drain valve, and o-ring. Is that reducer a fairly standard part or is the size difference non-standard ?

- Option # 2 is to somehow remove the drain valve only, but I've no idea how to do that or what tool might work.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

First, soak it with PB blaster for a few hours.

Then use an ez-out to try and spin the brass nipple out of there.

If it feels like the EZ-out is going to break, heat the insert up nice and hot with a torch and try again.

Failing that, use a small hacksaw blade to cut notches in the brass insert until you get down to the steel threads it mates with. Then pry the pieces out with a screwdriver.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Tried an extractor that was tapered but the hole isn't deep enough to allow the extractor's wider part to contact.

For the hacksaw / notch option, the I.D. is really small and I'm not sure we'd be able to get enough depth or angle to cut notches.

What about driving a screwdriver in that's just wide enough to cut into the brass, but not too wide to damage the threads ?

shdesigns