uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

[MoP] How I came within seconds of an uninstall last night

So, yesterday was definitely a top (or bottom) 10 all-time bad day for me. Work sucked. I got home and my house was a wreck (terrible twos), then the wife and I got into a spat. I tried to log on to WoW for some relaxation time after all the dust settled and the wife and kid were both racked out for the night, only to find that I haven't updated my credit card information to reflect my current credit card that I just received as a replacement to the old one that expired about 2 weeks ago. Due to this, my subscription ended sometime between last night and the last time I logged on because Blizzard obviously couldn't bill my expired credit card. No biggie, I'll just update my info with my new CC number and expiration date, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

I ended up spending about FOUR HOURS trying to figure out why I was receiving the error message "Unable to validate credit card information". I double, triple, and quadruple checked my CC #, expiration date, zip code, cardholder name, and 3-digit code. I updated my billing profile, billing address, and even my shipping address. Finally I exhausted all my alloted attempts at entering the proper information and received the error message "Too many attempts.". It was 1:30 in the morning at this point and I was steaming mad.

During the process I looked over countless forum posts and this is a summary of what I found in both subcribers posts and posts from customer support: There's a gliche in Blizzard's system that occurs sometimes when game time has expired and a new card is used that causes the process to get hung up and not be validated properly. Most problems I saw said that the individual was having issues with inputting the zip code properly. The solution to the problem; wait a while and try again later, if that doesn't work buy a game card.

DAFUQ?!?!?!?!

I'm up until 1:30 in the morning frustrating the shit out of myself over some stupid bullshit gliche in Blizzard's billing system that won't even allow me to throw money at them? And the solution to the problem is to buy a game time card?

I was seconds away from uninstalling the game and doing my best to forget that it exists. Fortunately, I thought better and went to sleep instead.

Anyhow, has anyone else had this stupid issue when trying to give Blizzard your hard earned dollars?
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
kudos:1

I was hoping for you remembering raiding with the cig, and you said if i can't raid with him, then i ain't playing no more. Then i came to my senses, and your story is much better.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to McBrain

Its called the payment Boss.

I beat the payment boss not long ago, I normally buy 2 month cards at game stop but forgot and had the time about to expire message come up (you were there in the game when this happened)

I managed to buy some time on the site and all was well.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

And if you beat the Payment boss the loot you get is you can play.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

(snip) Blizzard obviously couldn't bill my expired credit card.

You'd be surprised LOL. I don't know how long it was going for but they kept billing my uncle's CC even after it expired in 2008. When I started using that account I switched it over to my CC so I don't know how long they would have continued to bill an "expired" CC. Would have been interesting to find out.

Then again a card usually doesn't get a new number when a replacement is sent because it expired so they could have just kept incrementing the expiration month/year and it went through. I've also seen a case where the wrong name can be on a CC and it will go through just fine (all else matching).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

just as long as the equation for checking the card comes back good.

XBL for along time had an expired card listed for me, I think if they hadn't some how sent bills into oblivion I would have been downgraded to silver.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to JoelC707

My first name is misspelled on my card (Jonathan vs. Jonathon), but it's never been an issue before...it's even misspelled (Jonathan) on my driver's license.

I had very similar, but not as drawn-out complications when I transferred to my current server...Same thing happened basically, couldn't get the cc info to validate on the site, then it worked first thing in the morning.

Was weird...anyhow, my new card is on my billing profile now and I shouldn't have to deal with these shenanigans again...hopefully.

Never met a person who has issues taking your money though, weird.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Oh they're out there, I'm come across companies that flat out don't want my money.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to McBrain

That is why I pay with PayPal.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

I'm a 'muhrickin, we use plastic for everything!

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to McBrain

See, a slight misspelling of the name like that is one thing and I can see them forgiving that. My dad let me use his CC one time and the person on the phone didn't know it wasn't my CC. She ran the card with my name instead of his name (completely different first name, same middle and last). It went tough just fine and I didn't even notice until I went to pay the bill online next month and saw his CC listed and saw the incorrect name.

Fortunately I don't recall ever having issues paying for anything with Blizzard but like Jobbie, I have used PayPal to pay them before too so I have a few options. And if all else fails I can go buy a time card somewhere. The downside is time cards don't fund xfers or such and I'm not sure you can use PayPal for all transactions (don't remember what it was I couldn't fund at Blizzard with PayPal).

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I pay everything I do with Blizzard with Paypal (game time, transfers and games) and no issues so far.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI
reply to McBrain

I really thought the story was going to end with the OP realizing they hadn't activated their new card yet.
--
I'd take the time to insult your intelligence but you probably wouldn't get it.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to McBrain

And sometimes, early in the morning/late at night, banks might be doing backups/maintenance/processing and are unable to take any requests for payment for a short period of time. I've run into that once or twice for "instant delivery" things like this. since the merchant can't "wait until morning" to process your payment, it sometimes just gets rejected.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to Jobbie

What about the annual pass? I signed up for that and I'm thinking that might be it. I know PayPal supports monthly automatic payments like a CC (and hell, I even have the PayPal debit card so I could still do that route), so it should be supported. And maybe whatever it was, was temporary and now they support PayPal for everything.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I pay my annual pass each month with paypal manually, It can be setup to bill paypal every month but I like to control when I want to pay.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.