uniqs
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Hmm

As awesome as this is, he is only getting 60-70% of what he is paying for. Some would say it is great, don't complain. But if it were At&t or Comcast, most would say that is completely unacceptable. Granted this guy may not have hardware capable of the speeds, but the significant difference in upload and download makes me think he is not the bottleneck. If he where, the speeds would be nearly identical.

If I paid for gigabit service, I would expect gigabit speeds.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

said by silbaco:

As awesome as this is, he is only getting 60-70% of what he is paying for. Some would say it is great, don't complain. But if it were At&t or Comcast, most would say that is completely unacceptable. Granted this guy may not have hardware capable of the speeds, but the significant difference in upload and download makes me think he is not the bottleneck. If he where, the speeds would be nearly identical.

His NIC/Switch/and computer are without a doubt the bottlenecks.
Expand your moderator at work
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: Hmm

This is a fiber service. Getting only 60-70% of what you pay for is not acceptable. Especially not from a project that the sole purpose is to show up the competitors and prove that offering a gigabit speed is possible and then not providing it. If you ordered 10mbps from Time Warner or someone and only received 6mpbs, are you going to complain? Most people would. That is no different than this situation, only on a different speed scale.
silbaco

silbaco to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
Possible, but then the upload/download speeds should be much closer to each other than they are.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that he may have hit a bottleneck outside of his Internet connection. Almost any PC can fully utilize 100 Mbps, but 1 Gbps? Not likely. Even SSD's can't read/write at that speed, and most PC's out there don't even have SATA-3 to support 600 Mbps, let alone 1 Gbps.

Even so, once you have multiple devices using an Internet connection, it doesn't matter what a single device can handle. It's amazing what it possible now compared to just 10-15 years ago.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Who says you can't get them? the bandwidth is there. I'm pretty sure that if multiple downloads are made on very high bandwidth servers hitting gigabit speeds shouldn't be a problem.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to RRedline

Premium Member

to RRedline
said by RRedline:

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that he may have hit a bottleneck outside of his Internet connection. Almost any PC can fully utilize 100 Mbps, but 1 Gbps? Not likely. Even SSD's can't read/write at that speed, and most PC's out there don't even have SATA-3 to support 600 Mbps, let alone 1 Gbps.

Even so, once you have multiple devices using an Internet connection, it doesn't matter what a single device can handle. It's amazing what it possible now compared to just 10-15 years ago.

SATA-3 is 6Gb/s, not 600Mb/s. All of my SSDs have no issue reading and writing a sequential file at much faster than 1 Gb/s.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL

JTR to silbaco

to silbaco
Upload speeds are a common bottleneck on Gbit connections. Download speeds aren't though.