spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Dawk2012
@rcn.com

1 edit

Dawk2012

Anon

[Need Info] Can RCN block Basic OTA Channels?

curious. I have no need/want for anything more then basic channels on my one TV.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

The signal is all digital and encrypted. You need a box for any service. I am not sure if they even offer broad cast basic anymore. Call 1-800-ringrcn to find out. Are you using a modern HD set. You can get an off air antenna and get your locals for free and in HD.

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member
join:2012-01-04

astoundcares to Dawk2012

Premium Member

to Dawk2012
The FCC granted cable operators permission to encrypt their basic cable programming. To ease this transition, RCN is providing a free standard definition box for one year to our customers who do not already have a box.

Emilie

Twins99
@rcn.com

Twins99

Anon

Emilie when does encryption go into affect? I didn't get any mail notice yet in NYC area.
Expand your moderator at work

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member
join:2012-01-04

astoundcares to Twins99

Premium Member

to Twins99

Re: [Need Info] Can RCN block Basic OTA Channels?

NYC will be done in early 2013 and customers will be notified in advance by mail and a bill message.

For more information on the process, you can go to »www.rcn.com/new-york/j/b ··· new_york.

Thanks
Emilie

Dawk2012
@rcn.com

Dawk2012

Anon

My locals work right now. I dont really care about any other channels besides the locals. (i have tivo on other sets). If RCN encrypts locals per the FCC ruling they will have to provide a workaround.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost to Dawk2012

to Dawk2012
Apparently, providers also have to make these newly-encrypted basic cable channels available via IP, according to this article. It will be interesting to see how this is implemented.

Dawk2012
@rcn.com

Dawk2012

Anon

This seems very unfair to people who already pay for cable boxes on other TV's. Not everyone wants a giant cable box on every single TV with 495 channels we will never watch.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

2 edits

shadyman777 to machpost

Premium Member

to machpost
said by machpost:

Apparently, providers also have to make these newly-encrypted basic cable channels available via IP, according to this article. It will be interesting to see how this is implemented.

Interesting.... I wouldn't mind my local channels over IP so I can watch on my computer or my iOS device. I wonder if our networks are going to get 're-crushed'.
said by Dawk2012 :

This seems very unfair to people who already pay for cable boxes on other TV's. Not everyone wants a giant cable box on every single TV with 495 channels we will never watch.

I definitely hear your point, and it makes me think why they don't offer the ability to install a central TV HUB at a house rather than cable boxes for people who don't to pay for boxes. Users can pick and choose centrally which channels get distributed to which channel number. Kinda like how people can create a home network with internet and customize things. A single point of entry, total freedom on how to use it. Of course, i'm not sure how this would work with carrier fees etc... but it would lead towards the inevitable 'ala cart' TV channel packages that people are pushing for. This would cause a mess for providers for non-techie people and support. Just an idea which i'm sure has been thought of.