spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tamz273

join:2012-01-11
Boston, MA

Hosted VPN Solution - any ideas welcome!

So as the title presents, Im trying to get some sort of "hosted" VPN solution up and running. My thoughts are to get an EasyVPN server running on a 2811. Once thats created, each client will get an IP address from the address pool defined to that group. One of my first questinos is - will the clients connected to the same group be able to access eachother?

The goal is to allow users of a group to use a "hosted VPN" service and share files/services on their local machines, but do it using only the Cisco client. So no Site-to-Site tunnels.. IPSec or GRE or any of that..

Feel free to share your ideas, Im open to anything!

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
VPN is just the underlying medium, therefore it is transparent to any applications including file sharing and any TCP/UDP-based traffic. This is I would say the main point of VPN tunnel establishment, which may confuse a lot of people when things don't work as supposed to.

Being able to see each other that are within the same VPN group is usually a challenge in the system administration part itself. If you are let's say using Windows system, then it is the Windows system admin responsibility to make all machines visible in the Windows network after the VPN is setup properly.

With my own experience dealing with VPN, hosted VPN idea can be challenging in maintenance part. I have seen too may finger-pointing cases; from ISP issue, VPN issue, system issue, and last but not least user issue. Working in support dealing with clueless but very impatient users or ignorant users are challenging not to mention slow things down when a technician tries to troubleshoot.

Should you still to keep moving forward with the idea, make sure the following are in place.

* Clearly put things that you do and do not provide in writing to avoid any lawsuits or complaints
* Document everything to save yourself
* Be ready to lose customers quick (those that are high maintenance)
* Be bold to pick and choose worthy customers to keep your company image in good shape
* Keep positive attitude that by the end of the day it is about getting things done and not about finger pointing

Good luck

tamz273

Boston, MA
reply to tamz273
Thanks for the advice Aryoba, but I think you misunderstood my question.. Im not looking to start any services, I have a full time position that unfortunately takes up most of my time

I was just curious as to what was possible with connecting multiple clients through a EasyVPN "server".. If I had 2 clients connect with the same profile, can they communicate with each other directly, without having a network defined on the 2811? Would it be L2 switching, since its a flat network with IP's assigned from the VPN Pool? Or will this not work..?

I just want to know the limitations of implementing such an architecture..

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to tamz273
From the VPN perspective, being able to see all machines within the same VPN group is doable by simply permitting all necessary IP subnets and opening all IP traffic. Then it would be up to the system administrator on how he should design the system in order to work with such setup.

tamz273

Boston, MA
Cool cool, good to know! The only policing would be using the ACL associated to any single VPN group... correct? I dont have any servers or anything of that sort running, just going to be p2p traffic.. File sharing/PC gaming, etc...

aryoba
Premium,MVM
Yes, it is just the ACL basically (which can be confusing once you have long ACL lines). Permitting all IP traffic on the Phase-2 ACL is the norm. Therefore should you need to permit or deny specific IP traffic, you either set it up on the access-group command, have a dedicated firewall behind the router (behind the VPN concentrator), or block by IP subnet on the VPN group.

tamz273

Boston, MA

2 edits
Sounds logical, only I cant seem to get it to work. My current config only had routes in the ACL pointing a the networks behind the concentrator. So I tried to add the subnet that includes the VPN Address pool, but I still cant ping other clients connected via VPN. When I trace, I get to the concentrator and then the traffic is dropped. I tried adding a Null0 router to that /24 on the concentrator, but still now getting a Destination Host Unreachable..

Thoughts?

EDIT: I created a loopback interface on the router with an IP from the same ip pool that is used by the clients, and I can ping it. This only works when I add a route to the crypto profile. Now my VPN client has a router for the 10.250/16 (office hosts) and then 172.21/16 (VPN Address pool + loopback addresses).

Im logged on from my phone, and still cannot ping my phones IP from my laptop for testing.. Laptop is 172.21.10.47 and phone is 172.21.10.50.. I cant ping either of those hosts from the router itself, and obviously not from the device across the router to the other device..

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT 2: More mucking around, and I've come to find out that my iPhone doesnt like pings I fired up my mac, connected and I can ping across no prob. I need to say though, that the only way I could accomplish this was through specifying a route to the VPN Client. Without a specific route, the client didnt take default over to the router in order to reach another host on the same network..

Thanks for all the advice, and hope someone benefits from this!

aryoba
Premium,MVM
Adding routes to reach machines within the same broadcast domain should not be necessary in order to have visibility of each other. If you like, you can post your configuration for people here to review.

tamz273

Boston, MA
Thats what I was thinking too.. Since its all L2.. My question though is, what IS the domain? is it a /16? where is it determined? The Address pool for the VPN is only a beginning address and end address...

aryoba
Premium,MVM
From a different perspective, I would recommend virtual desktop solution instead of a simple remote IPSec VPN services. A remote IPSec VPN service is not really designed to be providing what you are aiming at since it was designed for a quick way to remote connect to data center or main office. A virtual desktop (i.e. from Citrix) on the other hand is designed to provide what you are aiming.

tamz273

Boston, MA
I think a citrix VDI solution is geared more towards giving virtual machines on a single network, not allowing your machine to join part of a virtual network... But thanks for your suggestion!

I still would like to know how the "domains" are split up.. could you help explains that part?

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
I think ayroba alluded to a broadcast domain, whereas any member of a VLAN should be able to ping each other within the same VLAN if all hosts are using IP addresses from the same subnet.

There's no splitting up of a broadcast domain when it crosses a VPN tunnel AFAIK. In a tunnel, you have Network A, Network B, etc etc and a route between the two as determined by the routing table.

tamz273

Boston, MA
Right, I agree.. I think he was alluding to that too. My question was "where" that defined..? Is everything in one ISAKMP profile considered one vlan? So other profiles will create other vlans?

Ive realized that if I dont specify a router for the vlan that the IP Pool range is on, I cannot ping other hosts on the same IP pool. If I add an IP to the route-filter ACL, then I can reach other hosts. This only works with I see the router in my "router details" tab in the VPN client..

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
With an ISAKMP profile, you reference an ACL that the assigned interface uses to forward interesting traffic through the tunnel. This ACL can specify one host or an entire subnet.

I suppose you can trick two tunnel endpoints to act as though it's bridging interesting traffic through the tunnel by using the same subnet on both ends, but I'd think that can cause issues with ARP.