spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tehrasha

join:2004-12-15
Vinton, IA

[IA] Early morning outage, now packet loss.

Internet went down around 1:AM. Modem lost all contact, rebooted, no response. After an hour, called tech support number, and automated system told me that there were issues reported in my area that may be affecting my internet.

Shortly after 2:AM, the modem came back online, and I was able to ping Mediacom's local router 10.164.16.1 but nothing beyond that. Went to bed.

According to my monitoring software, internet was restored at approx 5:AM.

At 9:AM, simple web pages load exceedingly slowly, streaming media very choppy and often timeout. Pings show noticeable packet loss to every address I tried. Rebooted modem just in case. No joy.

At 1:PM. Using 1000 pings, I am getting 27% packet loss to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server, 17% to a local Iowa IP address, and 7% to the first hop 10.164.16.1.

Anyone else?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
I am currently not seeing any service interruptions in the area at this time. Are you still having connection issues?

Tehrasha

Vinton, IA
reply to Tehrasha
Now getting 10% packet loss just pinging the first hop.
Ping times vary anywhere from 7ms to 90ms!

30% to Google's DNS.

Streaming videos appear to buffer enough to deal with the loss, gaming however is taking a hit.

Unlike this morning when it was completely down, I cannot really call what I currently see as a 'service interruption' because the internet is -working-.

Similar to the way a car is still -working- even though you have to keep adding air to the tires and a quart of oil to it every couple hundred miles.

It is working, but something is not right.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
I would recommend we get a technician scheduled for you. I did notice packet loss as well when I pinged your modem. Direct message me and we can schedule a trouble call for you.

Tehrasha

Vinton, IA
Done and done. Thanks.

Tehrasha

Vinton, IA
Wouldnt you know it. My ping monitor says that packet loss stopped about 2hrs before the technicians earliest possible arrival time. :/

Oh well, looks like we get to chalk this one up to good'ole "We couldnt find anything wrong."