Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

said by J E F F4:

The Kitchener Rangers charge $21 ($17 if 12 and under) for every ticket (except boxes and reserved).

The place holds roughly 7,200 + 500 (standing room). That's a cool $160,000 (if no one is standing) per game for junior hockey.

That said, it's more money than taking my kids to the Blue Jays. ($34-$46 for 3 tickets on Saturday). Even factoring gas and transit, baseball is cheaper. Go figure, eh?

It's math really. Baseball has 82 home games with a 50,000 seat capacity. Junior hockey has 40ish? home games with a 7,000 seat capacity. And then you factor in the number of sellouts in each stadium; i'll bet the Kitechener Rangers sell out more often than the Jays do, so therefore there is a demand premium on those tickets as well. I'd expect the hockey tickets to be more.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by shaner:

It's math really. Baseball has 82 home games with a 50,000 seat capacity. Junior hockey has 40ish? home games with a 7,000 seat capacity. And then you factor in the number of sellouts in each stadium; i'll bet the Kitechener Rangers sell out more often than the Jays do, so therefore there is a demand premium on those tickets as well. I'd expect the hockey tickets to be more.

Baseball has 81 games, junior 'A' has 34. But a major difference is salary. Average baseball player makes around $4 million, while some junior teams pay less than minimum wage. Although most teams do not do as well as the Kitchener Rangers. London Knights average 9,100 and Ottawa 67's were around 7,000 last year, less this year though. I think the these teams could do different ticket prices like baseball (where $17 is the minimum price ($8.50 for kids)) but charge more for premium seats (like $200+).

The Rangers have 5,800 season ticket holders, so very hard to get tickets. I was going to buy some today to take my kids to, but didn't make the purchase, I need to make sure they want to go before I fork over $69 for 3 tickets. ($12 worth of services chargers!!!)

To be honest though, I still prefer watching MLB. Junior 'A' second, or split by Major InterCounty Baseball --- this is fun to watch ($5 for adults, kids are free) then CFL then NHL....then NFL....then NBA....then MLS.

I believe the Rangers sold out all 34 games last year (although attendance varies as they count sold tickets rather then turnstile and standing rooms...meh) The Jays I think sold out 3 or 4, which was great for them, a long time since they had a sell-out after their first game.

It's going to be interesting to see how much interest we get next year if we have NHL.