ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Snowblower replacement...

Well my 20 year old Toro snowblower I got for $50 two years ago has died and am looking for a replacement now. I have a small driveway and 2 sidewalks I would need to clear as I live on a corner. I was looking at some Toros but someone mentioned the Ariens as well. What do you all use?
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave

I don't know how good Ariens are now, but my dad still has one that is as old as I am (over 40). New engine block and some other minor maintenance and it's still going strong.

TD

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I bought an Ariens ST24LE last year. I love it! For the one time I got to use it last year, it was awesome

»www.snowblowersdirect.co ··· 818.html

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Ariens are top notch.
But have you tried fixing your current blower? It might be worth the cost. If it lastest 20 years, it could last another 20 years with proper repairs, they don't make them anymore like the one you have.

A new 2-stage blower would run in the 700$+ (especially if it's a ariens)

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to ptrowski

to ptrowski
I agree,it would be worthwhile to fix it and not pay $700+ for a new one(but that is up to you )

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Zorack:

I agree,it would be worthwhile to fix it and not pay $700+ for a new one(but that is up to you )

Wanna hear a funny story about wasting money?

A friend of mine bought his first house a few months ago and bought a used snow blower for 200$ (key factor here is: no returns).

This week, when I visited him, I saw snow removal service pickets around his driveway.

Seems like he changed his mind... but he can't return the snow blower

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Ariens Compact 24. Love it. Easy to operate, and the best---easy to maintain. (An oil change is effortless and takes all of 10 minutes)

One of the best things I've purchased in the last 4 years.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
I've had my Ariens for about 10 years now. Love it.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Click for full size
42" Husqvarna Snow Thrower paired with my Husqvarna AWD Rider. I have yet to get any seat time with it yet... but it's still early in the season...

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

That whole setup must've cost you a pretty penny....

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
I've got an Ariens 28" Deluxe - amazing machine...

That said - what's wrong with the existing? A carb rebuild could be as cheap as 40 or 50 bucks, if it's not running, or not running right... If it blew a rod or wrecked the block, it may be cheaper/easier to replace, but if it's minor, why not get it looked at?

That said - I love new toys, too... Ariens is money well spent. I don't like their SnoTek line, but the "regular" and deluxe machines are solid as can be...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Sorry for the delay. It went out 2 years ago, started makin a large clacking noise when running then seized up with oil dripping from out of the engine. I called around and most places said $250 for an engine plus labor so I stuck it at the end of the driveway with a free but doesn't work sign. Gone in 30 mins.

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

I wished I was around to have seen that,I would have snapped that up too...
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to ptrowski

to ptrowski
get a honda. A lot of the other brands are now all the same model painted a different color, and they're kind of garbage.

If you don't have much, the honda 520s are going for about 300 on ebay.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Honda would be my first choice, followed by either Toro or Ariens.

I just got rid of all my snow removal stuff because I relocated to Florida from Pennsylvania last week. I had big heavy Gravely tractor/snowblower , and was actually going to downsize to a smaller dedicated snowblower and was researching various makes/models before my move to Florida (job-related) materialized.

You can't go wrong with any of the three. Cub Cadet and John Deere make some nice units as well, but that would be the units from one of their respective dealers - not the lower-end box store machines.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I feel comfortable spending around $1000 or so.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

Honda or Ariens.
Lurch still gets a hard-on while blowing snow with his Ariens.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Zorack

Premium Member

to Zorack
said by Zorack:

Yeah, not cheap by any means, but I already owned the Rider and it made the most sense. I've been told that tractor-mounted snow blowing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.. we shall see..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8ILZst1A

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0yl3dbQ0

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Zorack:

Yeah, not cheap by any means, but I already owned the Rider and it made the most sense. I've been told that tractor-mounted snow blowing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.. we shall see..

(youtube clip)

The only, I repeat only way for snow-blowing to be fun is for someone else to be doing it while I am in the house by the open fire.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

The only, I repeat only way for snow-blowing to be fun is for someone else to be doing it while I am in the house by the open fire.

My son seems to ANNOYINGLY enjoy trying to get in the ejected snow's path.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

My son seems to ANNOYINGLY enjoy trying to get in the ejected snow's path.

Is your son old enough to operate it? If so problem solved as he will quickly disappear if you tell him it's "HIS" turn.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Ariens are top notch.
But have you tried fixing your current blower? It might be worth the cost. If it lastest 20 years, it could last another 20 years with proper repairs, they don't make them anymore like the one you have.

A new 2-stage blower would run in the 700$+ (especially if it's a ariens)

I agree, i have a 35 year old toro that had the engine replaced 8 years ago, runs great, needs bearings and a couple of springs in the transmission. i was going to fix it but my inlaws moved into an appartment and gave me theirs, this old one is built like a tank but with a free snowblower i cant justify the repair

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Is your son old enough to operate it? If so problem solved as he will quickly disappear if you tell him it's "HIS" turn.

Dude, the day he's old enough to operate the snow blower, is the day Imake him mow the lawn, trim the hedges, warm up the cars ya... that stuff.

But he's only 5. I have a good 8-10 years to go
Good thing I'm young.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Dude, the day he's old enough to operate the snow blower, is the day Imake him mow the lawn, trim the hedges, warm up the cars ya... that stuff.

But he's only 5. I have a good 8-10 years to go
Good thing I'm young.

so you already have plans to use him as a remote starter, good plan

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Well my 20 year old Toro snowblower I got for $50 two years ago has died and am looking for a replacement now. I have a small driveway and 2 sidewalks I would need to clear as I live on a corner. I was looking at some Toros but someone mentioned the Ariens as well. What do you all use?

There's always this.

»[COLORADO] For Serious Snow

Zorack
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

said by dosdoxies:

said by ptrowski:

There's always this.

»[COLORADO] For Serious Snow

Man I wanted to reply to that thread,saying I wished that was on youtube so we can see and hear that thing in action...

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:
42" Husqvarna Snow Thrower paired with my Husqvarna AWD Rider.

said by ptrowski:
I have a small driveway and 2 sidewalks
A little more than he needs, wouldn't you say?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

4 edits

Draiman

said by Asiabound:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by ptrowski:

No way! There's no such thing as overkill with snow or lawns. You want to get the job done as fast as possible and more power just equals more speed not overkill. Your machine needs to be big enough for the right speed and conditions at their absolute worst! When you have 12-16" of wet packed snow at the end of your driveway from plows you'll be glad your machine can handle it.

Ariens 28" Deluxe all the way! They are $999.99 and you can get 10% off at Home Depot. Go online to their site and open a chat box. Tell the person you have a Lowe's 10% coupon you want to use. They'll honor that and give you 10% off. It's also free shipping so even with tax you'll have a nice machine delivered to your door for just over $900.
»www.homedepot.com/Ariens ··· qhORsg24

An Ariens compact is good for 3-6" of snow while a deluxe is 6-12". You move from 200 cc's to 250 cc's so a lot more power. The auger in a compact is 11" and 14" in a deluxe. The impeller in a compact is 12" and 14" in a deluxe. The tires go from 13"x4" in the compact to 15"x5" in the deluxe. For the extra $200 is well worth it to get a deluxe.

Also look into these Roller-skids.
»www.rcpw.com/ariens-skid ··· 250.html

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Consumer Reports likes Toros. I only have experience with two machines - one is a Troy Bilt, which may well be made by the MTD dynasty, the other a large Toro.

The Toro is a Mercedes to the Troy Bilt Kia.

Aside from a reverse speed* that's an insult to the buyer, the Troy Bilt / MTD works pretty well, but if you want top shelf - it's a Toro.

Like almost every small air cooled engine, mice nests that block the flow or cooling air that the fan under the screen supplies are your number one engine killing issue. I know I've harped on this before, but it's true.

*The good news is the Troy Bilt is so light that pulling it backwards is fairly easy.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Asiabound

Premium Member

to Asiabound
said by Asiabound:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by ptrowski:

Is there really technically more than someone could need when it comes to toys?