zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2008 Silverado 5.3L gas 4engine - battery replacement

My neighbor had a dead battery on the Silverado described in the title.

We got it started and took it to our local NAPA guy who tested the battery and declared it and the alternator good. I insisted there had to be a stuck brake switch or shorted bulb somewhere. It turned out that a light switch in the cap had been bumped to "always on", so we think that the dead battery mystery is solved.

But it did raise the question of how to remove the battery if it does go bad. The battery can't be removed without either removing a brace between the cab and fender or removing/lifting the coolant expansion tank.

It seems to me that although it would be easier to remove the brace (Two bolts in easy reach), doing that might allow the fender to shift and make re-assembly difficult.

Would it be better to remove the bolts for the expansion tank and lift it out of the way then remove the battery.

Which way would you recommend?

Thanks,

EG
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Removing the bracket is the method for replacement access. There is no stress on the bracket as far as keeping the fender in-line, as it is part of the crash protection system, and only plays a role in keeping things tied together in such an event. The bolts have captured nuts below them, so they zip right out without having to use two wrenches.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by mattmag:

Removing the bracket is the method for replacement access. There is no stress on the bracket as far as keeping the fender in-line, as it is part of the crash protection system, and only plays a role in keeping things tied together in such an event. The bolts have captured nuts below them, so they zip right out without having to use two wrenches.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip!
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.