TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to sirwoogie

MVM

to sirwoogie

Re: for classic ADSL, they count all the headers

said by sirwoogie:

BS. I've re-read the ToS, and nowhere does it mention this "sync" speed you say I didn't bother to see. Go look for yourself ...

I see it has changed since I last read the ToS. However, there is this in that linked document:
quote:
Service Capability Speeds should not be confused with Throughput Speed, which is the speed at which your modem receives and sends Internet access data (“Throughput Speed”).

Which is pretty much what I read before the changes. (Except that the old ToS explicitly mentioned "sync" speed.)

... when I had DSL back in the day of SBC, they over-provisioned speed (and in fact stated this in the documentation to avoid confusion) so you could get the advertised rate.

SBC never "overprovisioned" their service for as long as I had it; February 17, 2001 to some time in April, 2011. I started on 1536/128, which is what my modem synced at from day one of service.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by sirwoogie:

... when I had DSL back in the day of SBC, they over-provisioned speed (and in fact stated this in the documentation to avoid confusion) so you could get the advertised rate.

SBC never "overprovisioned" their service for as long as I had it; February 17, 2001 to some time in April, 2011. I started on 1536/128, which is what my modem synced at from day one of service.

I think that sirwoogie See Profile is confusing SBC with BellSouth. BellSouth did over provision their 3 mbps and 6 mbps aDSL service (but they under provisioned their 1.5 mbps service).