join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Grappler

Re: GTA is Full of Them - Another "My Rights Are More Impor

said by Grappler:

Attached Link refers:

»www.thestar.com/news/gta/article···-ontario

I am not a religious person, far from it, nor am I a misogynist, but these nut cases have to be reigned in.

This is a prime example where our tax dollars are being wasted to make a decision. This woman and any other person willing to take outrageous stands should be forced to deposit monies to the courts/tribunals to pay for their cause in advance. I am sure a simple test can be designed to weed out these cases in advance and force the payment for costs in advance. There are more important discrimination issues than a haircut, which in this case I support the barber, IMHO his rights are more important in this matter.

Wrong. It is a case of competing rights. There no such thing as a hierarchy of rights, but a situation where a resolution between equal rights must be found. The best place for that (and a cheaper place) is the HR Tribunal, as opposed to everyone hiring a lawyer and taking valuable court time. One solution has already been proposed in this case. There may be others.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Grappler

join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON
said by DKS:

said by Grappler:

Attached Link refers:

There are more important discrimination issues than a haircut, which in this case I support the barber, IMHO his rights are more important in this matter.

Wrong. It is a case of competing rights. There no such thing as a hierarchy of rights, but a situation where a resolution between equal rights must be found. The best place for that (and a cheaper place) is the HR Tribunal, as opposed to everyone hiring a lawyer and taking valuable court time. One solution has already been proposed in this case. There may be others.

Not wrong, I am aware that legally there is no hierarchy of rights. Hence why I emphasized IMHO, his right is more important. Like others have mentioned, a solution was put already put forth, there are other barbers, etc. This should not even be looked at.

Some mention was made of Muslim Doctors, Emergency personnel etc. Checking with a friend of the Muslim faith I was advised that would not be an issue, their faith is also one of compassion, saving of life etc. and that Muslims in those types of professions would be "forgiven" as their primary doctrine would be to assist and provide aid, etc.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Grappler:

Some mention was made of Muslim Doctors, Emergency personnel etc. Checking with a friend of the Muslim faith I was advised that would not be an issue, their faith is also one of compassion, saving of life etc. and that Muslims in those types of professions would be "forgiven" as their primary doctrine would be to assist and provide aid, etc.

Perhaps a more realistic situation is man presenting in the ER are requesting a woman physician for their wife. They are Muslim. There is no woman physician available. The person leaves.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

fun fun

@videotron.ca
in this article,»www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Toron···751.aspx, the Ontario Human Rights says:

If the Tribunal finds that the barber shop violated McGregor's rights, it could order a monetary settlement or order the shop to implement a set of “public remedies,” such as ordering the shop to offer services “in a way that is considered non-discriminatory.” That may involve hiring additional staff, for example, she says.

heh. All they will do is force the closure of a business as these guys stated they will leave and work at something else if forced. And a monetary settlement won't work. Each and every woman could walk in off the street yell discrimination and get a financial settlement in perpetuity as long as they remain in business which would drive them to bankruptcy.

And if they force them to hire someone else to take an appointment on certain days pf the week or month to accommodate a single woman, who is going to burden the costs of that additional labour and over-head? It would have to be the woman demanding it. So then we have a situation of a mans haircut being 20$ and a womans haircut being 80$ for the exact same thing. Then we start the discrimination all over again due to price

I would also require a deposit to pay the extra help should the woman not show up. Otherwise they are taking business/financial risks for no reason.

And if the barber hits hard times it's kind of hard to justify being forced to have additional labour for one woman. Doesn't make sense.

But this is the law of the land. No business can (or is not supposed to) refuse service based on gender.

I think they should hire a blind barber with a seeing eye dog so they can complain dogs are against their religion

The way I see it, these guys are screwed no matter what.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to DKS
It is not competing rights because I believe the woman is out of line here by trying to set an example with that barber. She has the option to go elsewhere. There are certainly barbers in Toronto that will give her the man cut she wants. He doesn't have the religious option to cut her hair...unless he divorces his wife and marries her or adopts her as his child.

There was a situation at Cambridge city hall at the marriage hall where the female priest refused to marry gay couples due to her religious beliefs. City hall had a substitute priest that would do gay marriages, however, for the gay community this wasn't good enough, the felt violated that a substitute would have to do gay marriage, and asked the city of Cambridge to fire her. That is what the city ended up doing.

Now, if she was in a town with one barber shop, that would be competing rights..
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein