Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to FFH

Re: How to discourage customer complaints

Not really, that man is now a Millionare.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by ITALIAN926:

Not really, that man is now a Millionare.

Yes, but how many people will now be reluctant to go in to a T-Mobile store to complain?
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Probably more, a lot of people would gladly role the dice and take a shank to the side for a Million bucks. Perhaps Tmo should now etch a warning into front window glass "entering this store puts you at risk for bodily harm" , You know, like how McDonalds had to put warning labels on all their coffee cups.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
That's a pretty big gamble. If a vital organ is damaged and has to be removed or its function is impaired, this person could have millions of dollars in life-long medical care.

While there are "ambulance chasers", the cost of medical care in this country is seriously expensive. Depending on the misfortune, a person might need a million dollars settlement to cover their medical needs. Every situation is unique and injury lawyers certainly throw out lots of "what ifs" but when common diagnosis techniques cost thousands, and even basic outpatient procedures exceed $10,000, a million doens't go very far.

I don't know how badly the person was burned in the famous McDonald's hot coffee incident but I tend to believe that award was ridiculous. I believe it was a woman and I guess it's possible that her front was seriously scared to the point where she could no longer wear revealing clothing but that seems really extreme. Maybe if she was a model and that seriously impacted her ability to earn money but again, lots of stars have to align.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

2 recommendations

said by rradina:

I don't know how badly the person was burned in the famous McDonald's hot coffee incident

3rd degree requiring skin grafts but hey let's complain about the reward without all the facts.

Not really sure what purpose serving coffee at 190 degrees serves.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by 88615298:

said by rradina:

I don't know how badly the person was burned in the famous McDonald's hot coffee incident

3rd degree requiring skin grafts but hey let's complain about the reward without all the facts.

Not really sure what purpose serving coffee at 190 degrees serves.

190 Degrees is the optimal brewing temp of coffee. As a coffee drinker (many times in the car) I've been spilled my share of HOT coffee. It hurts and you do whatever you have to do to get the hot clothes off the skin. Pull it away, take it off, whatever. I've also burned my mouth more times than I care to admit.

We should not reward stupidity...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926
Doctors will get half, the lawyers the other half. Customer gets coupon. Yay!

uteck

join:2009-12-30

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05
Here we go again...
That particular MickyDs was cited a number of times by the health department for serving the coffee at 200 degrees (12 degrees under boiling), and health regulations limit serving temp to about 160 if I remember correctly, the temp that most people find acceptable.

How does MickyD handle complaints about their coffee being too hot? They start a misinformation campaign about people not understanding that coffee is served HOT. T-Mo could learn from this approach.
--
no .sig found, please restart your browser.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to ITALIAN926
Your assumption is that he would get a big payout.

I know I for one, if on a jury, would not hold a company accountable for the stupidity of an employee unless there are documented or witnessed prior events reported to management that they choose to ignore and allowed the person to continue to work there.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Skippy25:

Your assumption is that he would get a big payout.

I know I for one, if on a jury, would not hold a company accountable for the stupidity of an employee unless there are documented or witnessed prior events reported to management that they choose to ignore and allowed the person to continue to work there.

I agree. Or if the employee was a convicted violent felon that they hired and knew of his past record.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Doctors will get half, the lawyers the other half. Customer gets coupon. Yay!

Quoted for TRUTH.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to uteck
She put the Styrofoam cup between her legs while driving. No "mis-information" there, just stupidity.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 recommendation

reply to rradina
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v.···taurants

3rd degree burns to 6% of her body and lesser burns to 16% of her body. The coffee was being served at 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit. That temperature is too hot. Sure, brewing temperature is 200, but measure your coffee sometime. Mine comes out in my pour-through at 170. Into my cup it loses some and is between 160-170.

McDonald's offered $800 for her $10,500 medical bills. She sued and tried to settle for current and anticipated future medical costs. McD still refused, so she took it all the way. She won that plus punitive damages.

She required two years of medical treatment to fully recover. The suit was not frivolous.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

2 recommendations

reply to DataDoc
She was parked, attempting to put cream and sugar into her coffee. Stupidity? Perhaps. She still didn't deserve 16% of her body to be burned and require skin grafts and two years of medical treatment for it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v.···taurants

jc100

join:2002-04-10

2 recommendations

reply to skeechan
A coupon for 50% off your next bill upon receiving a second shanking equal or greater to that of the first.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
LOL!

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
reply to rradina
Lady was something like 70 who got burned by the coffee and later on a court brought that award way down.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to jc100
said by jc100:

A coupon for 50% off your next bill upon receiving a second shanking equal or greater to that of the first.

That coupon sucks, I was hoping for a free second shanking!

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Corehhi
That explains why the burns were so severe and the recovery was so long. Our skin gets thinner as we age. My grandma is 92 and her skin is onion-peel thin. She lives with my mother who has two dogs. She has to be careful to always wear jeans around the dogs. If they jump up and scratch her leg, it shreds her skin. She heals very slowly and it takes months to heal. If she doesn't take antibiotics, it gets infected and it doubles the recovery.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to rradina
Sorry to side track but what killed McD's in that case was the internal memo's that they increased the temps (above where it was needed) just to keep people from being able to drink it in the building and getting free refills. Yeah, this tends to piss off a jury. It was shown that the temps were increase for this reason, that there was no good reason to have it that hot and that other locations temps were much lower.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to Skippy25
Actually the person's attorney will. They get the company in on it by claiming incorrect hiring practices, improper training, not following training guidelines, etc. That get's TM into the suit. That is all that is needed... an allegation (it will get past any motion to dismiss). At that point TM's only option is to chip in money to settle.

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to Metatron2008
We're sorry but at this time, we regret to inform you the free second shaking program has been discontinued. It has been replaced with the 50% coupon or a voucher for a beatdown instead.

equivocal

join:2008-01-23
USA
reply to skeechan
said by ITALIAN926 :
Doctors will get half, the lawyers the other half.
And the IRS will get half.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Don't worry, they're agents for Obamacare now.

Jumpa

@spcsdns.net
reply to FFH
hundred of thousands id imagine!!
hoping to get stabbed and get millions and perhaps free internet for life!