Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

Best way to sync MS Outlook to Android

lI use MS outlook from 2007 Office and am buying a Samsung Note II
What are my best options for syncing from my current Outlook files such as Contacts and Calender?
Last time I looked I had to do a one off Csv file transfer, but thereafter I would have 2 separate and distinct databases...
Can I use another way such as "CompanionLink" and keep both databases regularly in sync?
Thanks

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
Are you using exchange with OWA

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
I am not.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR
I wonder if Microsoft SkyDrive allows syncing of Outlook files?
There is an Android App.

gdio53

join:2000-07-30
Feeding Hills, MA
reply to IanR
MyPhoneExplorer : »www.fjsoft.at/en/

PC & Android apps.

Sync contacts, calendar, sms. Can sync wirelessly.

And it's free:)

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
Thanks.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR
Kramer,

Your answer from the MS thread has me confused though it is helpful.
Why would I need to have a domain name to use Google apps?

For clarification to others I have copied and pasted beneath your reply on the MS closed thread.

"Download Google Calendar Sync for syncing your Outlook Calendar with Google. That is free. Contacts are trickier. One way is to buy an app that does it. I bought a Companionlink product for about 40 bucks that does it. If you buy that, you will not need Google Calendar Sync because the Companionlink product does both the Calendar and Contacts. The third way is to transition to a Google Apps account which would require a domain name be purchased. Google Apps has the capability of syncing both Contacts and Calendar info with Outlook."

EricG

join:2010-01-12
Procter, BC
reply to IanR
Sign up for an Outlook account. If you don't want email, register a Live.com account with existing email. Create an Exchange account under Settings/Accounts, server=m.hotmail.com, empty domain.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
reply to IanR
As gdio53 mentioned, MyPhoneExplorer works great for syncing Outlook local (PST file) to an Android. And it's free. The syncing works over WiFi. You install a small client on the Android and use a desktop app on Windows to sync.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to IanR
Yes, you need a domain name for Apps. 1and1.com has a deal where you can get a .com for 99 cents for the first year. The Myphoneexplorer app mentioned here twice sounds interesting although I haven't used it. If it is limited to wifi only sync, I wouldn't find that useful though. Edit: Actually the more I think about it, WIFI sync is that bad. I really don't care when it gets into Outlook as long as it gets in by the time I get home.

gdio53

join:2000-07-30
Feeding Hills, MA
said by Kramer:

Yes, you need a domain name for Apps. 1and1.com has a deal where you can get a .com for 99 cents for the first year. The Myphoneexplorer app mentioned here twice sounds interesting although I haven't used it. If it is limited to wifi only sync, I wouldn't find that useful though. Edit: Actually the more I think about it, WIFI sync is that bad. I really don't care when it gets into Outlook as long as it gets in by the time I get home.

It's not limited to WiFi, you can sync via USB also, I just find it more convenient to use WiFi.
Also, you have to start the program on the PC, so it's not automatic. Launch app on phone, start Outlook, launch program from within Outlook, then sync.

If you just want to sync your contacts with Google, there's Go Contact Sync »sourceforge.net/projects/googlesyncmod/ but again, you need to be at the PC to sync to Outlook.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to IanR
If you could put your data (contacts, calendar, etc) in the "cloud", you'd have more options.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
Which "cloud" is best suited?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Personally, I use Google for just about everything. My contacts are there, calendar is there, mail, etc, etc, etc. You can then have everything from PCs to Android devices to iPhones and so on sync with it.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to IanR
You can just import all your data from Outlook (Contacts, Calendar, etc...) right into your Google account, and it will automatically sync to your Android device.

You might have to do some minor formatting cleanup, but that's nothing major really.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
I have actually done this already.
The problem I have is that Outlook is my master file for contacts etc. But now I have separate datafiles to try to keep manually pdated!
Expand your moderator at work

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Best way to sync MS Outlook to Android

said by Alpha Phoenix:

You can just import all your data from Outlook (Contacts, Calendar, etc...) right into your Google account, and it will automatically sync to your Android device.

You might have to do some minor formatting cleanup, but that's nothing major really.

I don't think the OP wants to stop using Outlook. Importing every time to Google when you make changes to Outlook would be too much work.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to IanR
said by IanR:

The problem I have is that Outlook is my master file for contacts etc. But now I have separate datafiles to try to keep manually pdated!

How/where do you back up your Outlook data ? Consider switching to the method I mentioned earlier. Put ALL of your data on the Google side. Outlook will just READ it and your contacts, calendars, email, etc will not appear any different. The difference is, your PC, your Android phone, and so on will always be in sync. You can create calendar events or new contacts in Outlook still, but they'll be pushed/sync'd to Google and immediately available through a web browser, your phone, and so on.

You asked for the "best way to sync MS Outlook to Android" and I don't think you'll find a simple one. If you want the "best way to sync MS Outlook and Android", I've explained it.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
I think that some people may be reluctant to dump all their contacts into a Google repository, especially given Google's inclination to harvest any information you share with it.

As it is, I already have enough problems with all the e-mail contacts harvested by Xobni and Smartr. Indeed, I didn't realize just how bad it was until I noticed that I now have fairly complete contact lists that are actually maintained by people with who I occasionally (very occasionally!) communicate. I have some e-mail contacts that are supposed to be close held and it's now extremely difficult to maintain their privacy.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
I do understand that, but figure it's a trade-off that at least I am willing to accept in return for the convenience it offers. There's ALWAYS a price for convenience, yes ?

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to jvmorris
I got around the issue of privacy for some contact lists by creating "sub accounts" in Outlook. I actually didn't do this on purpose but when I started using Outlook years ago I thought this was the only way to create separate lists and I stuck with it.
When I sync to a windows program or first created a list on Google (which is now out of date) the transfer was done by a csv file creation and it ignored the sub accounts.

Whne Microsoft started their Smart Glass approoach I was initially hopeful that they would include syncing databases like Outlook to Android etc..! Silly of me;)

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

I do understand that, but figure it's a trade-off that at least I am willing to accept in return for the convenience it offers. There's ALWAYS a price for convenience, yes ?

Well, I get the convenience with MyPhoneExplorer using either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity, whereas with using Google I actually have to be connected to the Internet. And I get this 'convenience' without possibly 'inconveniencing' any of the people who have been kind enough to share their e-mail contact information with me.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to IanR
Yes, I also use sub-accounts, one for my homeowners association (of which I was recently President) and also another one for contacts that I normally only use when I'm in England. So far, that seems to have worked.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris