spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newster

join:2011-09-26
reply to elwoodblues

Re: [Newsgroups] DMCA catching up to Usenet?

I think it's going to be only a matter of time before all mainstream content gets quickly taken down, and the only easy way to find anything will be to use torrent sites. Usenet as many of us know it will come to an end.

Usenet will still be a valuable service for the rare, obscure content, like the kind of things that no one would still be seeding a year later. Maybe also as a secret stash for small private sites.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

There is a lot of money tied up in hardware when it comes to Usenet, if it goes down it's going to take more then the "downloader" with it, hardware providers, tech jobs (not tech support) bandwidth providers.. et all.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23

1 edit
reply to newster

said by newster:

I think it's going to be only a matter of time before all mainstream content gets quickly taken down, and the only easy way to find anything will be to use torrent sites. Usenet as many of us know it will come to an end.

Usenet will still be a valuable service for the rare, obscure content, like the kind of things that no one would still be seeding a year later. Maybe also as a secret stash for small private sites.

Nah Usenet will survive. The places to easily get the NZB files will be dead. The people taking down content are using these NZB sites to do it. I mean why go through all the trouble of doing raw search for stuff when those sites (ie NZBMatrix and the alike) do it for you. That is all this Morganelli Group do. They use a simple algorithm, Naive Bayes Classifier, something that is used for email spam, to catch the so called offending NZB files which point to supposed infringing content. It is called "naive" for a reason. It has been proven to be wrong just by simply naming the NZB file something it looks for despite the file contained being legit content such as a Linux distro. It filed an automatic DMCA take down for a Linux Distro, which Astraweb took down with the utmost alacrity.

sfl0w

join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL

Please stop giving the piracy trolls credit openly on the forums and mentioning them by name, we don't want to do anything to give credence to them trying to disrupt the Usenet, and that includes giving them a bump in their website's SEO. Best not to even acknowledge them.

sandman_1

Who says I am giving them credit? All I was pointing out was that it was people that favored sites like NZBMatrix who are shooting themselves in the foot. The Morganelli Group only exploits this ease of use.

And who cares if you mention them by name? Are you scared the boogey man is going to get you or something? I could care less what they think about me. I feel it is best for people to know who they are up against. It is best to, "Know thy Enemy", as they say, wouldn't you agree?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

Unfortunately you're also helping them advertise as DSLR is a frequently crawled and cached website that often appears near the top of search results.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to sandman_1

The problem with "searching" is how does one know that file(s) 12345.partxxx.rar is "Arrrow" for example?

sandman_1

reply to decx

You really don't think they have already contacted and advertised their services to these content companies? They are already known to the industry my friend.

newster

join:2011-09-26

The guy is a gigantic liar, promising "We 100% stop piracy on the Usenet ecosystem."

It's only at best 100% of the usenet posts they know about, which is anyway only a tiny fraction of the number of torrent users, which have been untouched.