share rss forum feed

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to tomdlgns

Re: DNS - A, MX and PTR records - Silly quesiton

does anyone do email spooling for you? if not, look into it. we have a company that does email spooling along with virus/spam filtering. our MX records point to their servers and they have to records, set at diff priorities.

i dont need to worry about which ISP i am using (my office has two ISP connections) the service we subscribe to looks for port 25 to be open, it doesnt care which ISP connection it sends it to, i just need to make sure i have both static WAN addresses listed in their portal (which i do) those are the only IPs they ping/see if they are online before they attempt to deliver mail.

i recommend keeping your TTL values as low as your provider allows.

i use network solutions and the lowest setting is 3600.

PToN
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX
No, we dont have anyone doing spooling for us. We are switching to DNSMadeEasy and their default TTL is 1800, i may try a lower one once we do the switch and then set it back to their default.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
is this due to cost or never had a need for it?

i would consider this.

for email spooling, email scanning for virus and spam it only costs me 3.00 per user per month.

worth every penny, IMO.

also, alias addresses for users do not count against the total count (i confirmed with my rep, but things might have changed, not sure).