spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gmarler

join:2012-11-16
Paramus, NJ

New Policy for Reverse DNS on Verizon Fios?

After reading »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I set up a PTR Reverse DNS Record? I sent an email to help4u@verizon.com, requesting reverse DNS via NS record delegation.

Here's the response I received from their Lead DNS/SMTP/IP Allocation Engineer:

quote:
Unfortunately we do not delegate reverse DNS for FIOS/DSL connections for IP blocks smaller than a /24. We'd be happy to put any PTR records in place on our servers for that IP block.

Our policy has changed, we used to delegate these out but we do not anymore. We'll be happy to make the PTR entries on our servers.

Anyone know how to escalate an issue like this? Seems like a silly policy to me, especially since I'm paying for business Fios.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

3 edits

Rereading your post it seems like they used to swip the IP address to you so you could do reverse DNS so you could control it.

Now they will make the entries for you. Probably some ARIN requires more then anything else.

So they should update the PTR record with what you ask them to enter.

jcondon

Fishkill, NY
reply to gmarler

Seems like an ARIN policy to me.

»www.arin.net/resources/request/r···dns.html

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

Dang I wish I knew they would reverse delegate before, I tried to get them to do that on my /28 but I couldn't find anyone who even understood what I was talking about, even the business email who do the PTR records had no idea what I was talking about so I thought they didn't. Wish I would have tried harder now, lol.

gmarler

join:2012-11-16
Paramus, NJ
reply to jcondon

Don't think ARIN policy governs this actually. Especially after reading this:

»homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.···ion.html

jcondon

Fishkill, NY

Maybe you are right. I would be interested to know if you ever get a resolution to the issue.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

Maybe try emailing business-support@verizon.net

That is the email address I send for PTR requests and they usually do them as I never had any issues.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to gmarler

your better off posting to the verizon direct forum or calling to tech support for assistance

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

Last time I checked it was only consumer accounts only.