All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

charged 90 bucks for less then 2 minute job!

I had no dial tone, a while back ago, just signed up with att in october and already they have disappointed me. Apparently my billing date was the tenth according to the person I talked with on the phone, and the out of control bill was because of a 90 dollar charge for a less then 2 minute job. Still no billing statement available as of right now. Between 30 and 40 bucks would of been acceptable. But 90? No way! My advice is, don't call repair service, figure it out on your own or just cancel the service!

Richie12
join:1999-08-26
Tinley Park, IL

Richie12

I can understand your frustration with having to pay $90 for two minutes of work. However, the way it turns out is that you are not really paying for two minutes of work, but rather paying for the expertise that the repair technician has which makes it possible for him to do the job in two minutes and you are also paying for all the overhead that is involved in getting the technician to your residence such as paying the person that scheduled the appointment, maintaining the system that schedules the appointments, paying the mechanic that maintains the technicians truck, paying for gas for the truck and so on.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

I wish I would have been warned, now I will probably cancel the service in order to pay for it, as it is a huge budget buster.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by nonamesleft:

I wish I would have been warned, now I will probably cancel the service in order to pay for it, as it is a huge budget buster.

I assume you did not accept the wire maintenance plan.

Hmmm. I have to get back to that other thread where the poster mentions plumbing. Meanwhile, how much are you willing to pa a plumber to work on leaky pipes?

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by NormanS:

said by nonamesleft:

I assume you did not accept the wire maintenance plan.

Hmmm. I have to get back to that other thread where the poster mentions plumbing. Meanwhile, how much are you willing to pa a plumber to work on leaky pipes?

So your telling me this stupid wire maintenance plan that would cost me how much more every month would of saved me how much?

Richie12
join:1999-08-26
Tinley Park, IL

Richie12

According to Illinois Citizen's Utility Board(CUB), probably not as here is their position:
4. Ask yourself: Do I need Inside Wire Maintenance?
Inside Wire Maintenance (called Line-Backer by AT&T) is an optional phone company insurance plan, for up to $10 per month, that covers repairs to your home's INSIDE wires. However, most telephone problems are not caused by the inside wiring. There's a good chance you're better off skipping such plans. Your yearly savings over time will most likely be enough to cover any inside-wire repairs—if you ever need them done

»www.citizensutilityboard ··· eBy.html

However, it really is your personal preference on how you deal with sudden expenses. If you are able to put away a couple of bucks every month for something like your recent repair, you would probably be better off. However, some people would rather just have the money taken out of their phone bill every month and not have to worry about it should a repair arise.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
Um, for starters, if you cancel, the charge will still be there.

Your not supposed to be charged 30 days after install, whole warranty on work deal.

Any charges there would of been, you would had to agree to BEFORE being charged.

Sounds like your issue was on the customer side of the NID, and thus billable.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to nonamesleft

MVM

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

So your telling me this stupid wire maintenance plan that would cost me how much more every month would of saved me how much?

I was only making an observation. If the $90 repair was for inside wiring, hard to say what would have been saved. But, as Richie12 See Profile points out, premises wiring isn't always the source of problems; and the newer the premises, the less likely there will be problems.

OTOH, a poster in another thread beat me up about this "insurance racket" by pointing out that premises plumbing, like premises wiring, is not prone to failure. He points out the you don't usually find a "premises plumbing maintenance plan". Hence why I asked you how much you would pay to fix a problem with the premises plumbing?

As a fellow with technical expertise (I spent a few years doing component level board repair for Hewlett Packard), who can troubleshoot low voltage wiring, I can assure there are a very few (one relative, one former lover) people whose premises wiring I would fix for free. If I knew you fairly well, I'd do it for a meal, else I would charge you the going rate: 1/2 minimum charge, no matter if it took just two minutes. But you would still have come out ahead using my services, because even if I figured my rate at $90 an hour (I probably wouldn't go that high), the 1/2 hour minimum comes to $45 for a two minute fix.

They have to dispatch a truck to check at the demarc, but if they determine that the problem is in the premises wiring, they should warn you of the charge, and let you decide if you want them to do the work, want to do your own work, of try to find a certified low voltage electrician who will do it for less than their standard charge.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

1 edit

nonamesleft

Funny thing is, I had put down a pipe maintenance plan, but decided against it. So yeah it is stupid, and nothing but a racket anyways.

Funny thing is that supposedly a wire was shorted out, it was disconnected and that was it, no other work was done!

The thing that really pisses me off, is the tech said there is usually no charge, so I think it was highway robbery with the 90 bucks.
nonamesleft

nonamesleft to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Um, for starters, if you cancel, the charge will still be there.

Your not supposed to be charged 30 days after install, whole warranty on work deal.

Any charges there would of been, you would had to agree to BEFORE being charged.

Sounds like your issue was on the customer side of the NID, and thus billable.

No really? The point of canceling, is getting the bill lowered enough to be payable, that way I don't have a month of service that I have to pay ahead for.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
What side of the NID was the wire "shorted out"
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
Your not going to save as much as you think you will and AT&T will say you don't have to pay x, but if you don't pay the full amount they will tack a late charge on. Regardless AT&T will get you in the end.
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
Ask them if they can break it up into payments for you.
Also, they should have let you know there will be a fee if the trouble was on yourside of the Network Interface Device.
Thats why they tell you to go to the NID and plug a working phone in to see if the trouble is outside the premise or inside.
If this wasnt explained to you, then work that angle.
If it was and you just didn't feel like doing it, then why should they send a tech out?

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Why are you replying to me? I'm not the OP
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
wrong click, does that mean the OP cant see my comment?

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Your not going to save as much as you think you will and AT&T will say you don't have to pay x, but if you don't pay the full amount they will tack a late charge on. Regardless AT&T will get you in the end.

Att has already got me, not too cool, since I am just coming back! I knew they were creeps, but didn't think it ran that deep.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Have you even called AT&T and asked why you were charged or are you on here raging and moaning without actually asking AT&T to remove the charge?
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to nonamesleft

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

said by OSUGoose:

Att has already got me, not too cool, since I am just coming back! I knew they were creeps, but didn't think it ran that deep.

Did they inform you of the potential charges when you requested the truck roll?

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
Ok I called them scammers this morning. No go on getting it reduced. Decided to take my business to cellcom and get the home phone device, someone else was in there getting one too! Hope ATT leaves SOON!

I forgot to mention, att has a bunch of rate hikes planned for january 2013.

They have complete choice basic at 29.00 bucks right now! It use to be like 21 or 23 maybe 2 years ago, now its going to jump 2 bucks for complete choice basic!

So I am just warning those of you out there, beware!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to nonamesleft

MVM

to nonamesleft
So. Did you bother to check the NID before you called in the trouble ticket?
Please answer truthfully.
"Inline" is a big waste of money. You are better off just paying the repair bills when they come.

I used to run into people like you on a daily basis (I used to work for SWBT / SBC / AT&T). I still occasionally run into someone like you in my current business.
Let me tell you this: it takes at least $75 to "roll a truck". That's break even.
Just because I was skilled enough to find problems and fix them quickly (which, ironically, pisses people off even though it's saving THEM money), does not mean it was a simplistic problem.

Your rant reminds me of an old story my Grandfather used to tell me (There are many variations of this story):

"Automaker Henry Ford asked electrical genius Charlie Steinmetz to build the generators for his factory. One day the generators ground to a halt, and the repairmen couldn't find the problem. So Ford called Steinmetz, who tinkered with the machines for a few hours and then threw the switch. The generators whirred to life--but Ford got a bill for $10,000 from Steinmetz. Flabbergasted, the rather tightfisted car maker inquired why the bill was so high. Steinmetz's reply: For tinkering with the generators, $10. For knowing where to tinker, $9,990. Ford paid the bill.

You paid for "knowing where to put the X".

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

Used to run into people like what!? I don't appreciate getting insulted, I was a decent customer until I got a surprise screwing!

75 bucks to roll a truck!? Where the heck is it rolling in from?

Where do they get off raising basic choice to 31 bucks in january 2013!?
That use to be like 21 or 23 bucks less then 2 years ago!

I would love to run a competing phone service in the same area and show att how to actually keep customers, instead of chasing them off with constant rate hikes and nasty surprises, let's not forget, no consumer rights with att either. My view of the entire company from the bottom to the top has changed to 100% negative.

ATT better not be calling me 2 times a day or every other day either. They lost my business for good.

If you run a business and tell me the terms and upfront costs, and keep it honest, you earned yourself a loyal customer for that. Think about that one before insulting a potential customer.

Honestly dude, I wouldn't hire you because of what you said here.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Trust me, I'd NEVER work for somebody like you.

$75 was being very conservative. It's probably much more now. You obviously have no grasp on what it takes to keep a skilled technician on the road.
Insurance, gas, tools, vehicle wear and tear, materials, training, benefits, wages - the list goes on. That's just a small sample of some of the associated costs.

Judging from your lack of response, I'd venture to guess it went down like this:
You came home and found NDT. Instead of checking the NID, you picked up your cell phone and called repair service to demanded a DPO.
They always, always, always tell people that if the trouble is past the demarc, you pay for it. It has been like this since divestiture in 1984. This is nothing new. It's common knowledge. They aren't just pulling this out of thin air. This is what "the people" wanted when they broke up the Bell System.
A guy had to come to your house and fix your broken wiring and you are complaining about a charge that's less than $100? I tell you what, go call an electrician, plumber, or HVAC repairman to come to your house and see what it costs.
Take your computer to a repair shop and tell them you want to know the exact final price before they do any work.
Loyal customer doesn't mean you get stuff for free. If you don't like surprises, then buy their rip-off "Inline" service for $6 / month (or whatever it costs now). Your better off just paying the bill when something breaks.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to nonamesleft

MVM

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

75 bucks to roll a truck!? Where the heck is it rolling in from?

I used to work for Hewlett Packard; board repair tech, $17 an hour. But board repair labor was billable at $65 an hour. I wasn't the only employee handling the boards. Plus, that was twenty-two years ago. And did not include the incidental expenses of operating a fleet of vehicles for the board repair service. Field repair service was different, and more expensive.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
You used to run into people like OP all the time, huh? That is about one of the dumbest and most prejudiced comments I've ever read. Who wouldn't be PO'd for getting charged $90 and not having anything explained to them? Sure hope I never get you to come into any place I know of to work on thing!

Knowing how crooked AT&T is, they probably didn't do a dang thing and charged OP anyway!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Maybe you should read the thread before commenting. They came out and fixed his trouble. They fixed the OP's customer owned and maintained broken wires and it only took them 2 minutes. Since it only took 2 minutes, the OP feels he's entitled to some sort of freebie or discount. Save your insults for a subject where you know what you are talking about.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

1 edit

nonamesleft

said by nunya:

Maybe you should read the thread before commenting. They came out and fixed his trouble. They fixed the OP's customer owned and maintained broken wires and it only took them 2 minutes. Since it only took 2 minutes, the OP feels he's entitled to some sort of freebie or discount. Save your insults for a subject where you know what you are talking about.

Nunya, stop being a rude. I never expected any freebies, if someone says there probably won't be a charge then stand by it, if there really was going to be a charge say it! Charge me for it, but don't friggin gouge me! The only one that hurt att is att. Att has been getting away with too much since they got immunity for warrant-less wiretaps, now they think they can do whatever they want.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Who said "probably" no charge? When someone tells me "probably", it means hope for the best, but expect the worse.

So you are honestly telling me that when the guy got there to fix your trouble he did not tell you it would be billable?

Your opinion of "gouge" is an odd one. As already mentioned and explained to you by others as well as myself, AT&T didn't make any money off your truck roll.

Lets be honest: AT&T doesn't even want to fix or maintain the wiring in your house. They've been trying to get away from that for a long time. It's a "necessary evil", for the time being.
They've been advising people for DECADES that they can hire someone else to fix their customer owned wiring. The only way not to know this is if you've been living under a rock for the last 28 years.

You can bash AT&T all day long for most things, and I'll nod along in complete agreeance. They are shitty company with underwhelming products. Their wired services pale in comparison to cable. They only thing that will save them is a captive customer base where cable isn't available. I'd look for wireline to be sold off in the next few years.
But in this particular case you are wrong.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

1 edit

nonamesleft

said by nunya:

Who said "probably" no charge? When someone tells me "probably", it means hope for the best, but expect the worse.

So you are honestly telling me that when the guy got there to fix your trouble he did not tell you it would be billable?

Your opinion of "gouge" is an odd one. As already mentioned and explained to you by others as well as myself, AT&T didn't make any money off your truck roll.

Lets be honest: AT&T doesn't even want to fix or maintain the wiring in your house. They've been trying to get away from that for a long time. It's a "necessary evil", for the time being.
They've been advising people for DECADES that they can hire someone else to fix their customer owned wiring. The only way not to know this is if you've been living under a rock for the last 28 years.

You can bash AT&T all day long for most things, and I'll nod along in complete agreeance. They are shitty company with underwhelming products. Their wired services pale in comparison to cable. They only thing that will save them is a captive customer base where cable isn't available. I'd look for wireline to be sold off in the next few years.
But in this particular case you are wrong.

If it makes you feel better to insult the customer, more power to you.
Edit: Oh the joke is on the att techs for the area, the more people that get run off, the more likely chance you will get laid off/lose your job. I know that once the amount of customers gets under a certain number, att can possibly neglect customers even more. So good job chasing potential customers off with your negative attitude, nunya!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

I don't work for AT&T. I willingly left that sinking ship years ago. I'll still be seeing my pension, as wireless will be around for the foreseeable future.

But trust me, they'll be glad to see a customer like you go.

You weren't neglected. A guy came out and did what you wanted. He fixed your service. You are mad because it was a simple fix. If it had taken 2 hours and was something complex, would you still be bitching?
I bet you'd probably complain about how long it took.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to cork1958

MVM

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

You used to run into people like OP all the time, huh? That is about one of the dumbest and most prejudiced comments I've ever read. Who wouldn't be PO'd for getting charged $90 and not having anything explained to them?

It was explained; as a short circuit. That it only took two minutes seems to be the issue. But flat rate time fees have been around since at least 1966, when I looked through a cousin's "Motors Flat Rate Manual", a table of times and fees charged by auto mechanics (my cousin was one) for automotive repairs. Minimum time charged for repair was thirty minutes; even if the job only took two minutes to complete.

Unless you are paying the outrageous line maintenance fee, AT&T won't work on premises wiring without charge. Most likely AT&T went wrong by failing to inform OP that there would be a fee; but that isn't normal, either. I have always been warned ahead of time by PacBell/SBC service reps that there would be a fee if they found, and fixed, trouble in my premises wiring.