uniqs
share rss forum feed

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to neilio

Re: Google Voice may be near launch in Canada

said by neilio:

To get your Canadian number verified, you'll need to do it via the Android Google Voice app — that seems to be the only place that verification is working. You simply add your cell # to GV in the app and it should be automatically verified.

What if my Canadian 519 number is with an operator such as CallCentric, that quietly doesn't support SMS?

It'd be cool to have it ported to Google Voice to solve the problem. :-)

josephf

join:2009-04-26

A. GV doesn't issue Canadian numbers. So you cannot port to it. This exploit is simply to forward GV calls to a Canadian number. Not to have a Canadian GV number.

B. Almost no VoIP provider supports SMS.

cell14

join:2012-01-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·localphone.com

said by josephf:

A. GV doesn't issue Canadian numbers. So you cannot port to it. This exploit is simply to forward GV calls to a Canadian number. Not to have a Canadian GV number.

B. Almost no VoIP provider supports SMS.

Localphone.com does, although I do not care much about this feature.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to josephf

I believe that Anveo.com supports SMS: »anveo.com/consumer/service.asp
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by RobThompson:

I believe that Anveo.com supports SMS.

Anveo does have this, as well as GoogleVoice.

Localphone has limited SMS capability only.
»www.localphone.com/help/global_sms

Most other North American VoIP providers do not have SMS capability.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

I hate to show my ignorance but, then again, I do it so well, so...

What is the 'big thing' about SMS? I'm not into texting but it seems SMS is important.

Can someone explain why SMS is important?

Thanks,
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

SMS is important to some people, not to others.

Largely a generational thing, I suspect.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to RobThompson

When you're in high school SMS is much safer than passing notes to each other like we had to. Also, parents cannot as easily overhear dirty conversations with your current crush. I suspect those seriously helped catalyst the usage once SMS became ubiquitous in mobile phones
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by Trev:

Also, parents cannot as easily overhear dirty conversations with your current crush.

Would those be S&MS ?

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17
reply to RobThompson

I have used Anveo's SMS for overseas Texting, since it is much cheaper than calling mobile phones in one specific country. I came across a PC/Android/iOS App, PINGER, which allows for free Texting to this particular country and they recently added free calling, with a Free DID to the US/Canada and I think, other Pinger users outside of the US.

»www.pinger.com/content/home.html

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

Pinger 25/30/ -- "we had to give the number to someone else"

If you use Pinger as a secondary app, and don't use it for 25 days, they send you a message saying that you haven't been using it for 25 days, and must use it within the next five days, or your number will be recycled.

Apparently, just opening the app and replying to the very message that says that you haven't been using the app is not enough.

If you do as above, in 5 days, they'll send you another message, kindly informing you that your number has ALREADY been given to someone else, and suggest that if you want to continue using Textfree by Pinger, that you can only get a completely different number right away. WTF?

I didn't bother getting a new number after that. Obviously, they have to recycle numbers from test and abandoned accounts etc, but I don't think the above specific practice of recycling valid and logged-on accounts is user-friendly at all. No Pinger for me! And Pinger users, be warned, too bad if you ever get off the grid for 30 straight days!

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:6

Re: Pinger 25/30/ -- "we had to give the number to someone

And what does this have to do with the current thread ?

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to ConstantineM

said by ConstantineM:

If you use Pinger as a secondary app, and don't use it for 25 days, they send you a message saying that you haven't been using it for 25 days, and must use it within the next five days, or your number will be recycled.

Apparently, just opening the app and replying to the very message that says that you haven't been using the app is not enough.

If you do as above, in 5 days, they'll send you another message, kindly informing you that your number has ALREADY been given to someone else, and suggest that if you want to continue using Textfree by Pinger, that you can only get a completely different number right away. WTF?

I didn't bother getting a new number after that. Obviously, they have to recycle numbers from test and abandoned accounts etc, but I don't think the above specific practice of recycling valid and logged-on accounts is user-friendly at all. No Pinger for me! And Pinger users, be warned, too bad if you ever get off the grid for 30 straight days!

Texting and sms is so important o you that you fall off the grid for 25 days? Don't think you have fallen off the grid complaining about a company that doesn't have sms for that long.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to ConstantineM

Re: Google Voice may be near launch in Canada

said by ConstantineM:

What if my Canadian 519 number is with an operator such as CallCentric, that quietly doesn't support SMS?

Don't most of the VoIP providers "quietly" not support SMS? Can you provide a list of VoIP providers who do support SMS? (Anveo and Localphone are the only two that I can see -- plus, it appears, GV -- if you can get it.) And, if it's really that huge of a deal to you, why don't you port out?