Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

get over it

join:2012-11-16

[Speed Issues] Not getting anywhere near my advertised speeds

speed test maxes out around 25mbps yet my downloads max out at 2.5mbps.

i've done all the troubleshooting to no avail. charter said they can send a tech out to my house to troubleshoot for a nominal fee.

what else can i try to keep those morons from coming out?

cryptic1911

join:2010-01-24
Willimantic, CT

Re: [Speed Issues] Not getting anywhere near my advertised speed

do you have the 30 or 100 package? Also, what is the cable modem plugged into? I had an old linksys router, and it maxed out at ~28mbits (older unit). When plugged in directly, I could get ~60mbits (back when I had ultra60). I now have a firewall that I built and I can get over 100mbits at times

get over it

join:2012-11-16
i would imagine based on what little im paying that its the 30 package. i am running an older linksys wireless router as well. and my modem is about as old. just a small black box a little bigger than a deck of cards!

edit: ugh. based on charter chat i have the 15mb package. why would the speed test show more then advertised?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to get over it
Bit-Byte confusion?

Speed tests measure speed as bits per second; noted as *bps.

Download managers generally report speed in Bytes per second; noted as *Bps.

There are eight bits in a Byte. Make sure you are not confusing the two. For 25Mbps I would expect the maximum download speed to be ~3.125MBps. Because of unpredictable variables between your Internet connection and your source's Internet connection, getting 2.5MBps down is doing reasonably well for a 25Mbps connection.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum