uniqs
share rss forum feed

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Android On A Stick

I really like the sound of the UG007, but the device is still brand new and the usual sites that would test such things haven't yet done so.

Has anyone seen/used the UG007 or its predecessors? I've read about wifi and heat issues with those, but how much did those issues affect usability?

Can XBMC be loaded onto it? Any further info would be appreciated. Thanks.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

hmmm, sounds interesting.
can you post some links for the product and specs ?

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Almost every link has the same information, likely from the Chinese manufacturers. Here's one that's relatively informative and packages it for sale with a remote and USB dongle that seem reasonably useful considering the features. »www.in4dealz.com/deals/UG007-Dua···-600407/

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

1 recommendation

reply to KCrimson

There's tons of these things around, all very similar. The $59.99 price seems a little high to me, and that's the "sale" price.

I think, with some of these devices, the 8GB usually runs around $49.99.

Scratch that, I forgot that these were typically 4GB, and 8GB vs. 8GB, and 16GB.

I AM waiting for the Favi SmartSticks to launch though. »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···&x=0&y=0
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I'm looking forward to roku's stick as well.
»reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57···reaming/
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to KCrimson

Earlier this week I came across an old (out of stock) link from Newegg, where they were selling one of the older Android-On-A-Stick iterations. It too was filled with the same kind of disjointed English that all of those products have from their manufacturers prior to real world distribution and usage. That said, I don't see what's special about that Favi stick in comparison to the UG007 besides the fact that Newegg is distributing it when released.

As for the Roku stick - the boxes are easy enough to mount on the back of any flat panel screen. Do the sticks have features beyond their box, if not, I don't see the value. Its the sticks' abilities to browse and run Android apps that set them apart from the fray of dedicated network TV devices.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

The Roku sticks have wifi remotes instead of blue tooth.

So they save on battery use and have longer range.

quote:
In addition to the Streaming Stick, Roku also announced today that Vudu is coming to all Roku 2, Roku HD, and Roku LT boxes. That's one of the last major streaming-media apps that Roku did not support, giving owners another top-tier streaming-movie store besides Amazon Instant. For those keeping score at home, Roku still doesn't have a YouTube channel, which continues to be puzzling considering how many other Smart TV devices the service is on.
Rounding out Roku's announcements is a significant update for the company's mobile app. The major new feature is called "Play on Roku," which lets you stream music and photos stored on your phone or tablet straight to your Roku. It's Roku's answer to the Apple TV's AirPlay, except it works with both Android and iOS devices.

But that's all it is, is a TV media device. Where as the android seems to be a tad more then that.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

I've been using a wireless (RF) keyboard and mouse on my computer for several months without changing either device's batteries. Any such combo would work on the UG007 or its predecessors - they have USB inputs that fit the dongle used for such devices. Besides, the UG007 have bluetooth which SHOULD work as well (without the dongle).
I like the sound of the Roku software update, but Boxee or the Logitech Revue look better still for MY purpose which includes web browsing.
At this point, I'm going to wait a few more weeks or perhaps months to see if the UG007 (or the quad core sticks like them) actually WORK.

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to KCrimson

said by KCrimson:

That said, I don't see what's special about that Favi stick in comparison to the UG007 besides the fact that Newegg is distributing it when released.

For me, probably just that I heard about the Favi stick first.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to KCrimson

said by KCrimson:

Has anyone seen/used the UG007 or its predecessors? I've read about wifi and heat issues with those, but how much did those issues affect usability?

Check the datasheet/spec for the exact Rockchip reference design used inside a particular model and compare packaging with other models.

The compact direct plug-in HDMI dongles actually heat up the worst. Of course same hardware guts in slightly bigger box connected via HDMI cable will run cooler.

Amazon has reviews of a dozen brands out there. I tried the original MK802 but did not like it's video performance.

said by KCrimson:

Can XBMC be loaded onto it? Any further info would be appreciated.

Youtube shows people running XBMC on various android sticks and Raspberry pie. ARM Cortex CPU variation and amount of RAM determines the video performance. Rockchip based designs are not that great for XBMC.

I am actually planning to order the $88 G-Box Midnight hoping for a better XBMC experience because of the hardware assist. »www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-An···sim_e_39

Their USB stick version called G-Box Dyno, also with XBMC hardware assist, is not listed at the Amazon store.