spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wreckless206

join:2012-11-16

[Speed Issues] This is getting ridiculous.

It started in about April 2012. For about 5 months, our speeds were between 1 - 2 Mbps and we still had the 30 Mbps package, but our upload speed never changed or went down, it stayed at a steady rate at around 5 Mbps. Then, one day in July, it suddenly went back to normal for about 2 months, in September, it dropped back down. I think it may be caused by construction in our area, but I can't be sure. We only rent the house, and the cable is in the owners name and I can't get her to send a technician out or even call Charter, it's really frustrating. My Ping tests are fine, I get 0% packet loss, 25 Ms ping and 5 ms jitter. My speedtests reflect the bad speed, but the pign seems great, so I'm convinced it's their error.

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:1

» Charter Internet/TV Forum FAQ »10 steps to help others help you.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to wreckless206

said by wreckless206:

It started in about April 2012. For about 5 months, our speeds were between 1 - 2 Mbps and we still had the 30 Mbps package, but our upload speed never changed or went down, it stayed at a steady rate at around 5 Mbps. Then, one day in July, it suddenly went back to normal for about 2 months, in September, it dropped back down. I think it may be caused by construction in our area, but I can't be sure. We only rent the house, and the cable is in the owners name and I can't get her to send a technician out or even call Charter, it's really frustrating. My Ping tests are fine, I get 0% packet loss, 25 Ms ping and 5 ms jitter. My speedtests reflect the bad speed, but the pign seems great, so I'm convinced it's their error.

You do not have the 30Mbps package the Cable account owner does.
You have what ever they pass on to your rented House.
I would think they have a router and i also would think they have setup a bandwidth limit on your leg of the network.
That would explain why you only have 1-2 Mbps speed, and how it could of changed for a few months when they messed up the setting in there router and then fixed it again.
This is also why the owner will not call because it is them limiting your connection most likely.
Now if you are paying the full price ($50) to them for the internet connection (30Mbps) then you should be getting what you are paying for, if not then take what you can get.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to wreckless206

Click for full size
I think I got a speed boost after the tech was out today and installed new wiring and a new modem.....Be persistent in your troubleshooting. have you contacted Charter Direct yet?

miscposter

@charter.com

You do not have to be an authorized user for tech support or trouble calls. Call charter and get a tech out.