uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Mele20

Re: Tracking cookies (utm) being forced here!

Oh, it is VERY MUCH THIS SITE's "problem" to put it politely...insulting all of us!!

I just installed Fx 10 ESR and it is TOTALLY CRIPPLED at this site unless I allow the SPY COOKIES HERE.

I am really, really disappointed in this site. I am a very long time (12 years) paid member and this site thinks it is ok to spy on and track me. GEEz.... This is my home site...and you do this now? Betray me? Betray my trust in this site?

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies. I set my options and saw those dirty utm tracking cookies. I deleted them and wouldn't you know...this site will NOT let me use it without allowing those cookies! DAMN!

I clicked maybe 50 times and was finally allowed to type this post with no utm cookies set. But when I go to post this I am sure I will not be able to do so without again wearing my hand out denying the setting of utm cookies.

Evidently, Sea Monkey is so backward that this site doesn't know how to try and force these nasty cookies on it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

said by Mele20:

Oh, it is VERY MUCH THIS SITE's "problem" to put it politely...insulting all of us!!

I just installed Fx 10 ESR and it is TOTALLY CRIPPLED at this site unless I allow the SPY COOKIES HERE.

I am really, really disappointed in this site. I am a very long time (12 years) paid member and this site thinks it is ok to spy on and track me. GEEz.... This is my home site...and you do this now? Betray me? Betray my trust in this site?

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies. I set my options and saw those dirty utm tracking cookies. I deleted them and wouldn't you know...this site will NOT let me use it without allowing those cookies! DAMN!

I clicked maybe 50 times and was finally allowed to type this post with no utm cookies set. But when I go to post this I am sure I will not be able to do so without again wearing my hand out denying the setting of utm cookies.

Evidently, Sea Monkey is so backward that this site doesn't know how to try and force these nasty cookies on it.

said by drew:

Do you honestly expect support from the site in this matter?

It is designed in a specific fashion with specific goals, including revenue.

--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies.

I have been seeing those cookies for several years. I'm not sure why you have only recently noticed them.
said by Mele20:

Can somebody explain to me what all of the fuss is about?

I read a message at dslr, and they make a database entry about that, so that the blue arrows work to only show me unread messages. Of course they are tracking me. They could not provide that functionality without tracking me. They could do all of that tracking with just the member-id cookie. That they find it convenient to also use some other cookies does not seem to be any reason for great concern.

I'm not understanding this paranoia business.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 16.0.2