share rss forum feed

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

666 Park Avenue Canceled

Not much discussion about this here since it was picked up; I've been watching it but not necessarily keeping up with it. I rather like it, but it doesn't compare to American Horror Story I suppose...

ABC has cancelled freshman series 666 Park Avenue. The supernatural drama will still air all 13 episodes of its original order but will not continue past that.

Since debuting in late September, 666 Park Avenue has struggled to pull in viewers, drawing less of an audience with nearly each new episode. Its series low was this past Sunday, likely triggering ABC to pull the plug.

--
♬ Music is life ♬

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
I think it stinks.
Between 666 and Last resort, they tried doing something a little different then the typical cop drama.
My wife and I like 666, and I like last resort. Though, truth be told, I felt last resort may have been better as a mini-series. I'm kinda curious as to what the long range plan was with that show.
Meaning if the show ran for ten years, would they still be on the island?
But then again, MASH ran for about that long, and it was mostly filmed in tents.

But, I also read they are in "option" meaning one or the other could be picked up as a summer runner.
»insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/16/last-···ncelled/
quote:
As with last year’s Pan Am, ABC is retaining its option to revive either show for next season. So if midseason shows like Red Widow and Zero Hour perform worse than these two and the network’s pilot season goes poorly, there’s a chance one or both could be resuscitated. It happened to CBS’ Unforgettable, which was cancelled last season and then later announced to return next summer. But the example of Pan Am is far more typical. (The Red Widow pilot is quite good but, then again, I also loved the pilot for Last Resort).
***break***

Nashville = 9.4 million viewers and a 3.2 in 18-49
Last Resort = 9.2 million and 2.4 in 18-49
666 Park Avenue = 6.7 million and 2.4 in 18-49

Unforgettable will be returning next summer on CBS.
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1···752.html

quote:
When "Unforgettable" returns for Season 2 during the summer of 2013 it will reportedly look a little different. According to TVLine, the cast is undergoing a shake-up.

Series star Poppy Montgomery has signed on to appear in the newly-revived series, as have co-stars Dylan Walsh and Jane Curtin. But Michael Gaston, Kevin Rankin and Daya Vaidya won't be returning for Season 2, meaning the NYPD squad will likely feature some new recruits.

"Unforgettable" was canceled by CBS after one season. The show aired Tuesdays at 10 p.m. and posted solid ratings, averaging 12.1 million viewers per episode.

What I'm curious about is the viewer numbers. Why are shows getting canceled that average 9 million or more viewers?
Is it because the cost per episode?
CW seems to be happy with 5 million viewers or a little less as do Sy-fy and USA.
I'm not sure how many FX, TNT, or A&E draw in for their shows. But they all seem to do little cancellations compared to the "big" networks.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious
DAMN!!! I like this show too!

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

What I'm curious about is the viewer numbers. Why are shows getting canceled that average 9 million or more viewers?
Is it because the cost per episode?
CW seems to be happy with 5 million viewers or a little less as do Sy-fy and USA.

Even after all the changes in the business, things are still very different for a major broadcast network like ABC, compared to a cable network or a minor broadcast network.

For a major network, to be ranked in 3rd or 4th place is bad in terms of perception by advertisers, viewers, and even critics. People don't like losers.

So a show that drags the overall numbers down, has to go unless it can offer some other over-riding benefit.