spc
uniqs
LFHC
join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

New DSLAM!

Click for full size
Nothing like seeing a fresh new DSLAM. So close to being able to say goodbye to slow internet.

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell

Anon

Sorry to burst you bubble, but that by it self is not a DSLAM.

Now admittedly, what they stuff the internal shelf's with, such as a Calix, will give you DSL.

My question is: are there any indications that fiber feeds the switch? If so they may be swapping out an Adtran 3000 for a Calix which would be fiber fed.
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

I know. its going to house a calix c7 there is a gigabit fiber link. this is a whole new build, fiber was put in the ground about 3 months ago and now they are putting in the hardware We are suppose to be able to get a bonded connection once everything is done.

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy to LFHC

Anon

to LFHC
so that box is all it takes to get faster speeds? when i asked if centurylink would ever upgrade my neighborhood they said no because its not cost efficient

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell

Anon

Wish is was that easy to upgrade DSL. lay a slab of concrete and bolt down a new box
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

haha yeah it would be nice if it was that easy. to codyyy this build has been going on for months now there is a lot involved. in my area Centurylink has been doing a lot of upgrades. the best person to talk to would be a central office tech, That is who I spoke with and He was able to tell me all the details of what was being put in.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

How would one get ahold of a CO tech?
I saw an upgraded DSLAM in town that looked just like this, so i can assume then if the are going to put one closer to my house it will look like this?
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

I used to work at radioshack and we always have techs coming in to buy various parts and I asked one of the guys and he happened to be a CO tech he called another guy with the plans and told me what was being installed. Even centurylink told me to talk to a tech if i could find one that they would know more. but CO techs are better to talk to.Im not sure if you are in a former quest area but as far as i have seen around here all the new upgrades are in this enclosure they usually house a calix c7 if fiber is to the switch and it does bonded DSL.

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell to Nemesis158

Anon

to Nemesis158
Click for full size
Calix C7 DSLAM
The picture shown in this thread is an outdoor cabinet. It is NOT a DSLAM.

It is used to hold rack mounted equipment such as a channel bank.

You would have to be able to look inside to determine what it contains.

Here is a picture of a DSLAM that could be mounted into an outdoor cabinet.

As you can see, it is intended to be rack mounted and is not weatherproof, so it needs to me mounted in an environmental cabinet.

Just because you see an outdoor cabinet does not mean you can jump up and down waiting for the speed increase.
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

As I have said I know what is there because I talked to a central office tech that works for this area and he told me what is being installed I am not guessing I know for a fact
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158 to LFHC

to LFHC
Yes i am in a former qwest area. I recently learned that CenturyLink is going to lease fiber cable on a run that is 200ft from my front door. However ive got nothing as far as details go yet.....
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

well just went out to get breakfast and on the way back I stopped by where the DSLAM is and some people that contract for centurylink was there hooking fiber up, All the equipment is installed in the enclosure they didn't know when it would be turned up though. I wouldn't imagine it would be too much longer considering everything is in place and the fiber is being spliced today
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

any idea if they are cutting all the phone lines straight to fiber or leaving them the way they are?

I wish i could get some details for what they plan to do around here.....
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

Im not sure on that I have been wondering the same thing but I think its just for data, Maybe someone else on the forums will weigh in on that question. I know how you feel its hard to get information on future upgrades I got lucky I ran into a CO tech the guys today I spoke to worked for centurylink through a contract they were just in normal clothes and drove their own vehicles you would never know they were with centurylink.

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell to LFHC

Anon

to LFHC
said by LFHC:

well just went out to get breakfast and on the way back I stopped by where the DSLAM is and some people that contract for centurylink was there hooking fiber up, All the equipment is installed in the enclosure they didn't know when it would be turned up though. I wouldn't imagine it would be too much longer considering everything is in place and the fiber is being spliced today

Don't be surprised if it's next month. Todays, just turnup, then there's testing to be done. The DSLAM has to be populated within MARTINS, then it's released to sales/

I just went through a migration from an Adtran to a Calix. It was 62 days from turn-up to moving the 1st customer over (me!).

Hopefully as it's the last month of the year local/state management will want to get their numbers up for the year and release the DSLAM early.
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

its been quite awhile so far, but it will be well worth the wait. Thought about switching to business class but it doesn't seem that there is really a great benefit from doing so.

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell

Anon

said by LFHC:

... Thought about switching to business class ......

There really is no difference in business class or residential service. You're still on the same DSLAM and your routing is the same.

Your service is not monitored, so you'll know of an issue long before CTL will know.

For the extra money the only perks they give you are only related to the service, nothing dealing with the service directly.

I will note that even though CTL is is now nationwide you still have to break it down between the old Embarq, Qwest and Centurytel properties. An example of this is the old Embarq areas use a different modem than the old Qwest areas.

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest to Nemesis158

to Nemesis158
said by Nemesis158:

any idea if they are cutting all the phone lines straight to fiber or leaving them the way they are?

Most remote pair gain cannot utilize fiber..... except for the Litespan 2000 which can only use fiber feed. And it breaks down an OC3 to channelized T-1's for voice.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

ok then, how many extra circuits are available to be used for Bonded DSL connections on old rural bundles?
I was kind of hoping that CenturyLink would put multiple terminals along the fiber line for my area and cut all the voice onto the fiber for each one so they could free up circuits in the bundle to get Bonded connections to people.....
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

I dont think that they do anything like that. As far as the number of free pairs in the cable im sure there are enough to do bonded otherwise I doubt they would even offer the bonded connection. I thought the underground lines in my area were very old but one tech I talked to said they are fairly new because they used to be strung on poles then they put in new cable and everything went underground.I asked him if there was a lot of free pairs and he said there is a whole lot left to be used.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

Thats the thing. I know there is enough cable coming out of the riser box to get a bonded line, in fact there are 2 cables that i assume have a total of 7 unused pairs coming out of the riser box. (each cable has 5 pairs, one has 2 used and the other most likely only 1) however, that doesn't give me any info regarding what kind of availability there is in the deep bundle

whatthehell
@embarqhsd.net

whatthehell to Nemesis158

Anon

to Nemesis158
said by Nemesis158:

ok then, how many extra circuits are available to be used for Bonded DSL connections on old rural bundles?
I was kind of hoping that CenturyLink would put multiple terminals along the fiber line for my area and cut all the voice onto the fiber for each one so they could free up circuits in the bundle to get Bonded connections to people.....

Sorry, it just doesn't work like that.
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC to Nemesis158

to Nemesis158
Im not entirely sure. But I think its pretty standard for the main underground cable to have a large number of pairs I would say 50 to 100 maybe more depending on the number of houses that were there when everything was first planned and the cable was put in the ground. Really though I dont think theres any reason to worry about it, if centurylink plans on expanding new services to your area then they will make sure everything is in place to deliver the service to everyone