spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ShockWave77

join:2002-11-09
Tyler, TX

[motherboard] New Build & Random Shutdowns -- Power Supply?

Click for full size
BIOS Voltages, Idling

Prime95 running

I built a new computer recently. Here's whats in it:

Silverstone ST-1000P 1000W PSU
Asus Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX
Intel i7-3770K
EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked

Pretty simple issue, it shuts down by itself perhaps once a day. No automatic restart, no blue screen, and nothing in the event log. I have to unplug the power and hold the power button it for a bit then plug it back in to get it to come back on.

Here are two screenshots of my power usage (I think it may be PSU related). The first is idling in BIOS, the second is with Prime95 running in windows. I can't find any good information on stock vcore voltages, so I wanted to see if anyone saw anything out of the ordinary with these. I'm running stock, no overclocking.

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
May have solved it myself... I went into BIOS and was looking for VCORE settings, but they were all on auto. The only thing I changed was turning off Turbo mode. Reboot, and suddenly my vcore is down to just a smidge over 1 volt (vs. 1.34 it was running before). This explains why Prime95 as pushing my cores past 90 degrees.

I messed with the Asus AI suite awhile back and had it auto-overclock, and something it changed must have stuck.

Anyway, hopefully no harm done! I'll be back if the shutdowns continue though....

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX

1 edit
Well, it doesn't appear to have fixed the issue, though my temps did come way down.

I found something in the event viewer I missed last time:

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (ADMIN-PC) has initiated the power off of computer ADMIN-PC on behalf of user Admin-PC\Admin for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

Googling the error revealed no fixes, though Microsoft is aware of it. Someone else fixed it by replacing the power supply, so maybe it still is the power supply. Any ideas? Hmm...

[EDIT] I forgot to mention, the whole reason I thought it was my power supply to begin with was because one of the times I booted back up after one of the shut downs, the bios stopped with an error, saying that it had shut down to prevent a surge from my power supply. I only got that error one time though, and I've since disabled anti-surge protection just in case it was being too sensitive.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to ShockWave77
I've had bad experiences with Auto voltage settings on Asus boards when tinkering with CPU speeds. Glad to see you got that resolved .

From a quick search, I found a MS knowledge base article on that issue. The last update for it was in August 2010. Assuming you're using Windows 7, is it updated to SP1?

Another thing to try is to change how the power button reacts in Windows. It should be in the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options. Set it to do nothing when pressed.
--
KI6RIT

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to ShockWave77
So, now your cpu voltage is set to 1.050v? instead of 1.35v right? Because 1.35v is for 4.5-4.9Ghz overclocking. That could be the reason why it is running hot.

If 1.05v cpu volt and still have a high temp like that 77c.. well 65c+. Open up your pc and reply the thermal compound. Clean the heatsink and clean the cpu. Put a pea size at the middle of the cpu(maybe a bit bigger for an i7.), and install the heatsink+fan. This time boot up your pc with the case open. Check if all the fans are running, and see does the temp goes any lower. By the way I have no clue what heatsink fan you are using.

Might want to check any bios update tomorrow:
»www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_···/#Awards
Seems like asus server is taking a memory dump.

I also suggest to reset your mainboard bios. Optional.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to ShockWave77
Your CPU voltage is a little high.

By the way, that power supply is RIDICULOUSLY over powered for that build. That build uses at ABSOLUTE MAX 480w under load.

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
said by Gordo74:

By the way, that power supply is RIDICULOUSLY over powered for that build. That build uses at ABSOLUTE MAX 480w under load.

Yes, it is overpowered to give me room to upgrade in the future (SLI, etc)....

I see there is a new BIOS update so I'll go ahead and do that. My temps are back down, so no need to mess with the heatsink, etc. The vcore fix got rid of that.

I already set the power button in windows to do nothing, just in case, but no luck.

I just had it happen to me again. I was here to see it this time. It was a standard soft shutdown, as if someone simply clicked shut down. Closed out all my apps and did a normal shut down. I simply powered it back on...

I'll update the BIOS and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
Let us know how you go.

You can look at this for that error:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2001061

Or try a clean boot to see if anything is software related - if everything else fails.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
»support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
I've gotten two hard shutdowns in the last day or so, both triggering the "Anti-surge" error in bios upon booting up. It claims its shutting down to prevent a surge from the PSU.

May end up RMA'ing the PSU here soon. I suppose it could be my powerstrip/surge protector as well, but I won't have time to test that until I come back from work (2 weeks).

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Sounds plausible - I had to swap out a powerstrip and psu at the same time only recently, it was an old psu anyway but the powerstrip was definitely a cause of my issue.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to ShockWave77
said by ShockWave77:

said by Gordo74:

Yes, it is overpowered to give me room to upgrade in the future (SLI, etc)....

I see there is a new BIOS update so I'll go ahead and do that. My temps are back down, so no need to mess with the heatsink, etc. The vcore fix got rid of that.

I already set the power button in windows to do nothing, just in case, but no luck.

I just had it happen to me again. I was here to see it this time. It was a standard soft shutdown, as if someone simply clicked shut down. Closed out all my apps and did a normal shut down. I simply powered it back on...

I'll update the BIOS and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys.

SLI would only add another ~150w to that build. 750w for an all-out-best-GPUs-on-the-market build. You're throwing away money. As it seems you are learning - the numbers don't necessarily mean quality

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to ShockWave77
From what I recall, Silverstone typically has good-quality PSUs. It's possible that he has a dud though.
--
KI6RIT

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

SLI would only add another ~150w to that build. 750w for an all-out-best-GPUs-on-the-market build. You're throwing away money. As it seems you are learning - the numbers don't necessarily mean quality

I'm not "throwing away money". I compared prices and it was a good deal with good quality with good reviews. Who cares if it gives me excess breathing room for future upgrades? Just because my build uses 480W MAX doesn't mean I should be a PSU just barely able to cut it. That's a terrible idea. You don't want your power supply running at max output all the time. That kills them even faster.

Anyway, back to the problem. I ran the computer plugged straight into the wall, still no dice. Random reboots still, with the same anti-surge message coming up in bios upon bootup. It's either the PSU or the motherboard. I think I'm going to RMA the power supply first simply because its the easiest to do, but if that doesn't do it, the motherboard will have to go back next.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
disable anti-surge in your bios.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to ShockWave77
said by ShockWave77:

You don't want your power supply running at max output all the time. That kills them even faster

Not only that, but it would run at somewhat lower efficiency. Most computer power supplies are most efficient at ~50-60% load.
--
KI6RIT

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
reply to FizzyMyNizzy
I tried this to no avail. I still get the random shutdowns / reboots.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
said by ShockWave77:

Use 1 stick of ram.

ShockWave77

Tyler, TX
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by ShockWave77:

Use 1 stick of ram.

I'll try this in a bit. I've noticed that if I turn off the ASUS anti-surge protection I get that event log and the automatic soft shutdown. If ASUS anti-surge protection is on, the computer just shuts off then turns back on with the anti-surge warning.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
said by ShockWave77:

I've noticed that if I turn off the ASUS anti-surge protection I get that event log and the automatic soft shutdown.

This error?
The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (ADMIN-PC) has initiated the power off of computer ADMIN-PC on behalf of user Admin-PC\Admin for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

Have you tried re-seating your CPU, thermal paste? Doubtful I know but if it costs you nothing....
Have you tried another PSU at all - even if just a loaner?
Have you tried Microsoft support on that error either?

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
reply to ShockWave77
what is your RAM rated? 1600mhz? If so, bump up the voltage from 1.5 to 1.65v... see what that does for you