spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ComCost

@leapwireless.net

Long run, long shot?

I'm from maryland, and I have no clue about the franchise agreement here..website sates I can get cable, I live on a back road next to rail road tracks. neighbor that is at the end of my drive-way has cable.I've went to the main office and they requested landlord to sign something and gave us a card to a Residential Field Sales Executive. I live pretty far from the main poles like 1k feet plus if ran on the the poles. I don't really have $$ for a costly install so I'm here trying to figure out ideas. My sister lives up the drive from me about half the distance, she should get cable also. Drive way is about 700 ft from top to me, not a str8 run. I attached a pic. Maybe UG is best bet huh..lol

ComCost

join:2012-11-17

Signed up for free account. Here is the pic:

ComCost

reply to ComCost

[att=1]

CleanGene
Premium,MVM
join:2008-04-09
Manassas, VA

If you haven't already done so, call the sales rep they gave you the card for, or just skip it and call in to the normal residential sales line. Have them search for your address, in case it's already in the system as serviceable or non-serviceable. If it's not in the system, they should offer (or you should ask them) to create a serviceability ticket. That sends the address info off to the construction team to have them check to see if they can bring you service. The sales agent should give you a tracking number in case you want to check on the results yourself, although they should call you back if they're at all on the ball.

They may tell you you're serviceable and talk to you about getting installed. Or they may tell you you're not serviceable, and there are no plans to make you serviceable, which is a shorthand way of saying they're not going to do it at their expense. If that's the case, you can ask the agent to have the construction department give you an estimate of the construction costs to make you serviceable, and then you can decide if it's worth any expense. Good luck!

ComCost

I should have been more clear. We have talked to the local comcast guy and he looked it up and said we are serviceable, so he shot an email over to some survey guy. We have not talked to them since.
Paying a lot really isn't an option. Looking to get a bundle service will that help?

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to ComCost

If they are telling you that your address is serviceable, set up an install, with the understanding that the installer shows up and says you aren't. At that point, the installer should be able to give you more information about who to talk to about making your home serviceable, and/or will submit the information themselves.

If your sister is going to also sign up, who lives between you and the existing plant, it may be easier to get this done, as they will have two people paying, meaning the cost per customer to install is less than if just you were to be installed. I deal with these types of issues a couple of times per year.

Your other option, is calling the sales person that they gave you, and talking to that person. Explain the distance, and if they want the sale, or better, the money for the sale, he/she will put you in contact with the correct person to possibly get you installed.

ComCost

The local place wants us to get the landlord to sign something to allow cable to be run. How would I word this?

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to ComCost

I, _______________ (landlord) allow cable to be installed at the property located at ________________ by Comcast.

_________Date

Otherwise, if you talk to the sales person, he probably can get an official ROE (Right Of Entry) form. As well, if Comcast does have to run main line cable to the house from the street, they will probably require permission from the landlord for that.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Cable Employ:

I, _______________ (landlord) allow cable to be installed at the property located at ________________ by Comcast.

_________Date

Otherwise, if you talk to the sales person, he probably can get an official ROE (Right Of Entry) form. As well, if Comcast does have to run main line cable to the house from the street, they will probably require permission from the landlord for that.

I think here in Massachusetts, tenants have a renter's right to have cable installed if one or more tenants requests cable (although the tenant may be on the hook for installation charges, which can get pricey in MDU installs). I saw that in some state publication. The OP may have certain rights in terms of getting cable. I live in a duplex and it is wired like a single family install but there are two drop lines going to the street. Comcast replaced my underground drop at their expense but did a poor job.

Also for the OP, the city/town franchising agreement may require that CC extend there lines at Comcast's expense if they are within a certain distance of the existing plant. You may have difficulty though because the area depicted on the map seems to be somewhat rural. Rural areas are more difficult to obtain broadband than urban areas.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to ComCost

700 feet underground is very expensive. 700 feet on poles isnt much at all.

ComCost

I talked with my sister and she said she is willing to get comcast TV and internet, same as us. So I think that should help a lot!

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL

I've ran a 700' UG drop. It's stretching the signal strength depending on the strength at the tap but it can be done.

ComCost

Well according to google my DRIVE WAY is like 700 feet, it would be shorter if under ground! I even walked the first half to make sure and it seems correct :P

ComCost

I could map out the poles for a better perspective. I think one pole could be skipped to make it shorter because my dad moved one pole closer to the house years ago.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

They're supposed to follow power. So however your electric drop is ran Comcast will most likely do it the same way.

ComCost

well it would be a good amount longer to my sisters place because of the pole placement. It goes off to the right in the field a bit than comes back. I'd love to slap whoever put the poles in here. I don't know crap about that stuff and i know its just messed up.

ComCost

Oh btw, if it was under ground I'd figure out a way to try to do it myself or something.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to ComCost

It's usually that way. I know what you're talking about Anyways since they have it for a survey they will figure it out. There are alot of different options but none are really commercially available for you to do it yourself

ComCost

1 edit

How long before a survey gets completed?
Feel free to post your mind.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

Only Comcast knows that. If a contractor is doing the survey then it could be a week or two. I'm not familiar with how they do it though.

ComCost

Oh ok. Thanks. They don't know that my sister would get cable also. Looks like we need to speak with comcast, I guess we will go to the main office here.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

It would be the same as calling and getting a status update. The customer service only knows what is in the system. I would give them a call first and see where they are in the process.

ComCost

1 edit

What number should I call?
I hate customer service ..lol

ComCost

reply to ComCost

Just an update, i worried my self for no reason! LOL

They said the lines where already there, they have been there...

ComCost

It was hard to believe, so i took a walk up my driveway and the pole on my drive way has three lines coming off it, so i figure.. Power, phone, and cable?.. Funny thing is I'm 24 now and I lived here for over 10 years and never able to get cable...