how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GratefulDude

join:2012-06-23
Plano, TX

MI424-WR rev I MOCA Bridge Problem

I've had a MOCA setup using the Rev. C for a while now and it's been working great. I wanted to see if I could get over the 100 Mbps cap by swapping it out with a new Rev. I. but I'm having problems with it. Whenever I connect the coax to the new Rev. I it knocks my main router offline. I get a message saying it's waiting for DHCP lease - but it never responds.

If I disconnect it and immediately hook it back up to the old Rev. C then I'm back online and everything is fine. I know I'm screwing up somewhere but I can't figure out where. Any ideas?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
You can't have two MOCA WAN connections. They will fight for the WAN DHCP lease.

Following the instructions in this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

GratefulDude

Plano, TX
I guess I don't understand how my second one is trying to act like a second WAN. Those are the instructions I used when I set up my Rev. C and it works fine. I used the same configuration settings on the Rev. I and then replaced the Rev. C with it but it fails. There must be some setting I'm missing on the new Rev. I

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
Click for full size
I have a Moca-Moca bridge with two MI-424WR Rev. I routers and, unfortunately, throughput is still limited to 100Mbps. Actiontec connection status reports 200Mbps full duplex (port 5 is Moca), but I never see more than 100Mbps in either direction. While the Actiontec has gigabit Ethernet ports, it appears that the device's internal MoCA chip is bridged to those ports at 100Mbps.

I have only bridged the Moca connection to the LAN (switch) ports. I suppose it is possible that bridging to the wan port could produce a different result, but that is not something I have tested. I'm not certain that is even possible.

Edit: Throughput was limited due to a cabling issue. With a new network cable, I see 17.3MBps (~140Mbps) between bridged MI-424WR Rev. I devices.

GratefulDude

Plano, TX
Thanks for the info and screen shot. I'm not trying to do a WAN bridge, just to the LAN ports. Disappointing to hear that it will still be limited to 100 Mbps.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA
Please disregard the post above about the 100Mbps limit. It was a cabling issue. There is indeed a significant benefit to using two MI-424WR Rev. I devices in a bridge configuration.

I am seeing 17.0-17.3 MBps (~140Mbps) throughput with two MI-424WR Rev. I devices in bridge mode. In contrast, I rarely saw more than 11.0-11.3 MBps (~80-90Mbps) with the Westell and earlier versions of the MI-424WR.

TenGauge

join:2012-11-20
reply to GratefulDude
I am having our service upgraded to 150/65 tomorrow and am curious about how they are going to do the install. I don't see a way for them to run ethernet from the ONT to the router due to the fact that I live in a townhouse and the location of the router.

Am I to expect 100mbit speed if they install using coax?

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
You will not get 100Mbps over MoCA. You must get ethernet installed , or else youll be dropped to 75Mbps

TenGauge

join:2012-11-20
Just got installed. Installer was able to run ethernet through the walls for me. Cruising right along at 150/65!