Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO

Blizz makes it damn hard to share accounts now!

One of my former guildies needed 60,000G for some tiger card or something, and I told him that I had that on my account and would gladly give it to him, but my account was inactive. He gave me a scroll of resurrection, I activated my account, but refused to reinstall the game, so I gave him my PW.

He tried logging in - BAM account locked. So I did it again, changing the password - BAM account locked.

Eventually it came to that I had to forward him the change password link from my e-mail so he could change the password and log on using the same IP address. Talk about a hassle!

In the end, he got his 60,000G and I didn't have to install the game. I guess it is good on Blizz be so security conscience, hopefully it has decreased the number of stolen accounts.
--
What smells like blue?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Your objection is not valid.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Omega
Sharing accounts is forbidden by the ToS

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
way to be a moralizing stick in the mud, Jobbie. I HOPE YOU FEEL BAD.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
but but but.... it says....no shari....

FINE!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Omega
Five minutes of downloading puts the game into a "playable" state that lets you log in and do basic things while the world downloads around you.

I bet you spent more time trying to find a way around the IP filtering.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
said by Krisnatharok:

Five minutes of downloading puts the game into a "playable" state that lets you log in and do basic things while the world downloads around you.

I bet you spent more time trying to find a way around the IP filtering.

Really? You can download a 13GB+ file and install it in 5 minutes? Damn you must be from the future. For the record, it took me about 10-15 minutes spread over 2 days to get around the filtering.

quote:
Sharing accounts is forbidden by the ToS
0 is the number of shits given with that.
--
What smells like blue?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit
I *just* redownloaded WoW because my install was corrupted. I don't know how many GB it needs before playable, but it took 5 min on a 30 Mbps line going at about 2.99 MB/sec.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
Cause everyone has a 30Gbps line.
--
What smells like blue?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Sorry, megabit.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Omega
You give enough shits to come complain to the forums when you already know the answer.

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
I think my post is awesome. Zoidberg agree.
--
What smells like blue?

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
The main reason for the hassle is for security users no longer playing. By requiring accounts requesting a password change to be the same IP or subnet first logged in, the reduce the amount of stolen accounts. Krisnatharok is correct. When installing the game, you can now play before the it is fully installed, which is only a fraction of the time it would typically take to install. Another option that would keep you within ToS.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
Yea, I know. I wasn't really complaining about it, just remarking that it was a hassle to help out a former guildy and that times have certainly changed since I last played this game. Really it was a kudos to Blizz for increasing security of their account, even if it was annoying. I shared my account and other accounts when I actually did play the game, I don't see why I would start following the TOS now, especially since I really wouldn't care if my account was banned/suspended.

Yes, I realize with their new downloader that I could play the game without downloading it all, but I didn't even want to do that. The sole purpose of this adventure was to give a former guildy 60,000G in the quickest, least intrusive way possible. I didn't want to download the game for two reasons: I didn't want to wait and install it on my PC and I didn't want to tempt fate and get back into the game.
--
What smells like blue?

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL
reply to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

When installing the game, you can now play before the it is fully installed, which is only a fraction of the time it would typically take to install.

Yup, I had to reinstall recently and was on my bank toon in about 5 minutes. On my main out in the wild it was like I had 3000ms pings or something. Definitely not playable, but once the whole area I was in loaded, it was fine. I just logged and let it finish downloading.
--
--

blackthought

join:2010-04-08
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Krisnatharok
i'm on 20mbps and was shocked how fast i was able to get in.
I'm gonna say 20 mins and it was "playable", even in the new zones.

Some of the load screens took a little while longer tbf.
--
»www.nomorenoob.com - Wow help site
Noob of the month - »www.nomorenoob.com/p/noob-of-month.html