spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

seguycarbono

join:2012-11-18

[Internet] PS3 super slow speed w/ WIFI to sagemcom 2864

Hi i'm new here. I searched and didn't find anything about this issue so i hope i'm not rehashing a problem thats been solved many times before.

I upgrade to FIBE 25 and i have the sagemcom 2864 modem.

My ps3 is in the basement and is getting super slow speeds ie 660kbps. My laptop, that is right next to the ps3, is getting 13mbps (which i accept since its pretty far from the router).

Why such a big difference in two devices that right next to each other?

I added the MAC address of my ps3 but it hasn't changed anything.

It took my kid 2hours to download a 56mb patch on the ps3 and he's getting very poor connections in online gaming.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
Maybe it's the place you're downloading that slow ?

Can you do a speed test with your PS3?

seguycarbono

1 edit
Well its downloading a patch from the ps3 servers for a new game. With Videotron he never had any issues. This is clearly related to the Sagemcom 2864 modem/router but i don't know what to do.

open ports?
manual dns settings?
dmz?

i got no clue, i can follow walthroughs but this isn't my domain so i can't troubleshoot on my own.

kovy7

reply to seguycarbono
I don't know, when I had the PS3... I didn't have any problems with the Sagemcom.

And it's honestly the first time I hear about this kind of issue.

seguycarbono

Could it simply be that the ps3 is too far ? and its wifi specs are shit compared to my laptop? wich would explain why my laptop is getting 13-15mbs as opposed to 660kbps on the playstation?

In that case, why did it work well with Videotron? My router was at the same spot in the house when i was with them.

kovy7

said by seguycarbono:

Could it simply be that the ps3 is too far ? and its wifi specs are shit compared to my laptop? wich would explain why my laptop is getting 13-15mbs as opposed to 660kbps on the playstation?

In that case, why did it work well with Videotron? My router was at the same spot in the house when i was with them.

Well you could try to change channels and wireless modes in the Bell modem to see it that helps.

seguycarbono

What do you mean?

by default i think most devices on 2.4ghz frequency use channel 6. you think i'm getting interference?

what modes?

kovy7

said by seguycarbono:

What do you mean?

by default i think most devices on 2.4ghz frequency use channel 6. you think i'm getting interference?

what modes?

Could be.

You know modes as in, B, G or N.

seguycarbono

Well the PS3 is b/g but all my other devices are N. I would expect my router to be backwards compatible.

Or is there a way to set different modes for different devices?

kovy7

said by seguycarbono:

Well the PS3 is b/g but all my other devices are N. I would expect my router to be backwards compatible.

Or is there a way to set different modes for different devices?

Yes there is a way... so try and test.

seguycarbono

reply to seguycarbono
My whole network is messed up that i've been looking into it.

I'm inches away from getting Videotron back here. Never had a problem with them.

My sagemcom is setup as modem only and i'm using a WAP610n router that Bell gave me to strengthen my signal.

Using a router i get 18mbps with the closest machine from the router...the further i go from it, the worse it gets.

Some devices can't connect the SSID of the wap610n. but if i leave the device open all night the next morning its connected to it. If i close the device, i lose the connection again and have to leave it on for long periods to get it back.

The device thats closest to the modem is a PC and if i hardwire it, it doesnt recognize the connection and i have no internet.

kovy7

said by seguycarbono:

My whole network is messed up that i've been looking into it.

I'm inches away from getting Videotron back here. Never had a problem with them.

My sagemcom is setup as modem only and i'm using a WAP610n router that Bell gave me to strengthen my signal.

Using a router i get 18mbps with the closest machine from the router...the further i go from it, the worse it gets.

Some devices can't connect the SSID of the wap610n. but if i leave the device open all night the next morning its connected to it. If i close the device, i lose the connection again and have to leave it on for long periods to get it back.

The device thats closest to the modem is a PC and if i hardwire it, it doesnt recognize the connection and i have no internet.

You can always post in the direct forum for real support... heck I don't even know why you have the WAP610n acces point.

seguycarbono

The tech from Bell came to install it and told me that the wap610n is a better router than the router in the sagemcom 2864 and that my signal would be strengthened.

He then setup my sagemcom as a bridge only and disabled its router functions. My wap610n was the only access point and was the one distributing the IP's from Bell. That worked GREAT!

But then i had a problem and the tech on the phone told me to reset the sagemcom and it broke the bridge and now both devices are in router mode sending two network signals.

If i could just put my sagemcom back in bridge mode and use my wap610n as my only access point i'm sure it would be fine.

but Bell told me on the phone that the tech that did that wasn't supposed to do it and that they can't troubleshoot this with me because its not the standard "Bell setup".

He told me they unlock the sagemcom for knowledgeable people to be able to do what they want with it, but they can't, as per bell policy, help my to bridge it.

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to seguycarbono
What happened to the router you had with Videotron? If you still have it, why not use it with Bell?

On the PS3, what is the wireless signal strength showing for your network?

seguycarbono

I've seen it as low as 35% and as high as 57%.

The videotron router was an old WRT54g but i would get 80 to 100% signal strength on the ps3.

My problem i think is that i have two routers sending network signals.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to seguycarbono
In my personal opinion......

The wap610N's range is no better than the connectionhub. The purpose of the 610n was never for extending the range of your wifi.

The ONLY real reason Bell offered the 610N was to provide wireless N speeds to early adopters of Bells Fibe25 DSL product via the Cellpipe 61v, which was only wireless G.

Before I go any further.... I have a PS3 on my Connection hubs built in wireless and it works just fine. I did not have to adjust any settings in the connection hub. I will say that when ever I did the connection setup process built in to the ps3, when it did its final speed-test the numbers were NEVER accurate, even with a wired connection!

Also, are you 100% sure your kids have setup the ps3 with the right wireless network from the WAP610n?

Is your PS3 inside an enclosed hometheater cabinet, or sitting ontop of a metal stand? try moving the ps3 around a bit.

Is it possible to move the sagemcom to a more central location in the house?

Is it possible to get the ps3 on ethernet? Using an Ethernet over Powerline adapterkit?

Use a higher quality wireless access point as compared to the WAP610n?

What provided the wireless connectivity in your house when
you were with videotron?

Edit: just saw your last response before my post. Why dont you simply use your WRT54G to create the wireless. I'm not familiar with that router personally, although I know its considered to be a real work-horse of the consumer home wireless router market.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

seguycarbono

Well i just realised the WAP610n is not a router, its an access point.

How to i configure my setup to use ONLY the wap610n?

If i plug both in right, i'm getting a network from the sagemcom (BELL9XX) and i'm getting a network from the wap610n. I can log onto both, but neither will give me full speeds even if i'm right next to it.

When i called Bell yesterday to troubleshoot this with them, they told me that the tech who installed the wap610n wasn't supposed to do that and that they can't help me with it. They can only show me how to use ONLY the sagemcom as a modem/router, which i already know how to do.

seguycarbono

reply to seguycarbono
I got fed up with trying to configure all this stuff.

I bought a Linksys r1000 booster.

Disabled the Sagemcom's primary SSID and broadcast.

Using my WAP610n as main and only access point.

PS3 isnt getting full 25mbps. Its getting about 15mbps but its going to have to do for now!

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to seguycarbono
Seriously I would not use a wireless connection with the PS3 because of the latency introduced...can you run a cat 5e to the device from the modem to the PS3. The game will run much better. I am a PC gamer so I am not familiar with the PS3 connections...is there an RJ45 available on the device?
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

kovy7

said by Glen1:

Seriously I would not use a wireless connection with the PS3 because of the latency introduced...can you run a cat 5e to the device from the modem to the PS3. The game will run much better. I am a PC gamer so I am not familiar with the PS3 connections...is there an RJ45 available on the device?

yes

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
I have also found LAN media streaming doesn't always work great on PS3 wi-fi. You either need to copy the file over or use the ethernet cable to stream. Not entirely sure why this is an issue as its not bandwidth. I've heard some places that perhaps the PS3 doesn't prefetch enough on variable bitrate videos and the wi-fi introduces enough latency to cause trouble.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to seguycarbono
Wireless itself introduces a certain amount of latency and if you have other devices near then they also can cause interference which can translate into more latency. The distance also causes issues...if I had to play by a wireless connection...I couldn't play because my "reaction" times combined with the latency of the wireless would put me at a "grievous" disadvantage...I need all the help I can get in Call of Duty Black Ops 2.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

seguycarbono

reply to seguycarbono
As of now its impossible for me to hardwire the ps3. I would have to drill holes through 2 levels and its a no no with the wife.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
is your PS3 the only thing that is experiencing slow speed when connectign to your bell Conection Hub? or all your device like the i pad, other tablets, ipod, playbook, laptops etc? if just the ps3 then its a ps3 problem, if all device, then call bell they will test your Bell Connection Hub Modem and repair what ever is necessary.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Buy a Power over Ethernet bridge.. And hard-wire it that way. Problem Solved. The net-gear Home plug works. I use one of those, with much success. for about 2 years now to Provide connection from my basement to my second floor. bedroom For some reason of the 4 bedrooms 3 got Ethernet one got nothing go figure..
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Breadwinka

@bellmobilite.ca
The ps3 has incredibly crappy wifi. Its not your bell router, I have rogers ultimate on ps3 speedtest i get maybe 10mbps which is lame because sometimes it has trouble with hd content on netflix. While my laptop gets 70+, if I hook my ps3 wired its around where it should be though.

PhilPhil

@209.141.159.x
reply to seguycarbono
I suggest you getting a Dlink DAP1522 Wireless N Access Point.
I have it hooked up with my PS3 and linked to my Netgear R6300.

Router is on the second floor with the modem while my PS3 is in the basement. When I do a network test on my PS3, I get about 17-21mbps download.

I tried powerline adapter which never gave me that kind of speed.

dsudot

join:2013-01-23
Guelph, ON
reply to seguycarbono
kind of an old thread, i suspect your issue is the same as mine, I fixed my problem by getting some managed lan switches that do IGMP snooping.

i suspect the multicast traffic on the LAN meant for the IP receivers is saturating your wireless link's

see this thread for some more info/solutions

»www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Set···_traffic