uniqs
share rss forum feed

capella

join:2012-11-19
Villard, MN

1 edit

[Embarq] Trying to resolve modem issues (and make better if poss

Hi, all

Noob here - Well, more specifically, newbie to digging into the technical details of my DSL service, at least. I'm a programmer and build computers, so not a technical idiot completely!

A little back-story: When I moved out here to rural, central Minnesota, I went with Embarq, who, as you know, is now CenturyLink. I've been pretty happy with my service, both under Embarq and CL - until the past couple of years.

I'm on my fourth modem now in the past two or so years - a ZyXel EQ-660R-F1. I'm not sure of the exact model of the the first three, but I assume they just send the same one - they looked the same to me, at least.

During the first three modems I was getting very slow service at times. Finally, the third one just died. Now, with this fourth modem, I still get the very slow download & upload speeds at times, but I tracked down how to access the modem's browser interface and reset the modem from in there (instead of running downstairs every time I have to reset it).

I've been having to reboot the modem every 1 to 3 days pretty consistently for a while now. After resetting the modem, the speeds are great again - until after another day or few and the speed slows down again. Also, pretty much all of the time, my wife and I are not able to surf on our laptops at the same time. And I'm not talking watching videos or gaming at the same time - I mean just browsing web pages. Pages won't load at all or they load very, very slowly.

Finally, about a year ago now I replaced my Linksys WRT54G router with a MediaLink Wireless N Router (MWN-WAPR150N). I have experienced the same behavior described above with both routers, with the exception of my wife and I not being able to surf at the same time (that didn't start happening until after I had the MediaLink router for a while, but I can't say for sure whether the router is the actual cause of that).

Questions:
1) Is there any way to PERMANENTLY fix either of the issues listed above (slow speeds "fixed" by rebooting the modem, and unable to surf on two computers simultaneously). By "fix", I mean, now that I can access the modem's browser interface, can I do anything in there that would fix my issues.

2) I'm willing to consider the option of purchasing my own modem - or even a modem/wireless router that would replace both of my current units, if that would result in having much more reliable results.

Sorry this got so long!

Thanks for anyone's help!

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Re: [Embarq] Trying to resolve modem issues (and make better if

Have you tried any other brand besides ZyXEL? If not try a different vendor.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

capella

join:2012-11-19
Villard, MN
No, I haven't tried another brand yet. I'd like to try to see if changing settings in my current modem would fix my issues before I try a different modem that CenturyLink may not even support.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
I am not suggesting getting an unsupported MODEM, just a different vendor.

This sounds very similar to this
»UPDATE:ZyXEL PK5001Z Modem dropping exactly every 15 minutes
--

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to capella
First thing to do is check the DSL line stats in the modem. Then connect it outside at the NID test jack and check again. The SNR and Attenuation are the numbers to watch. If there is any significant difference between the two locations, you have inside wiring issues to fix. You may also need a line check, depending on the stats.

The modem should be put in Bridge mode. The Zyxel 660 modems are known for their poor performance when acting as a router. Your router will need to be setup to connect to CL, if you are in a PPPoE area. Once this is done, you will no longer be able to connect directly to the modem, but you also should not need to.

bds85466

join:2012-11-17
Waconia, MN
reply to capella
I'm the OP for the "ZyXEL dropping every 15 minutes" topic.

First thing I did to absolutely make sure it wasn't something on my end was to plug the modem in directly to the NID test jack outside your house.

When I first installed my 10Mb service, I was getting less than 1Mb. After filtering out a ton of noise from the existing home phone lines, I've now got it up more around 8-9.

I don't have land lines so I disconnected all of the phone lines not in use. You've probably done this, but make sure all your devices (phones, security system, etc) have filters on them.

Then, plug your modem directly into the NID jack outside (BEFORE IT SNOWS!) and see what kind of results you get. You can find a tutorial on this at the century link website.

If your conditions are improved, you've got interference with your wiring and need to somehow isolate your DSL line better. If the conditions stay the same, there's something on CL's end or your modem is the culprit.

That made my slow connections disappear, though I still have this nagging disconnect every 15 minutes.....................

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to capella
Call CL and tell them that the MODEM is bad and you want a Westell to replace it.
--

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to capella
Hi,

If you still need some help with these issues I will have one of our DSL Escalation Tech give you a call to help resolve these ongoing speed isuses. Email me your account and contact info and we'll get to work on this problem.

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
Centurylink Help Team
talktous@centurylink.com